After one of West's 10-minute sermon-style speeches, the president took over, complimenting the rapper for being a "smart cookie". The rapper was originally invited to lunch with the president, former National Football League star Jim Brown and Jared Kushner to discuss prison reform, manufacturing, and gang violence.
West, who has become one of Trump's most outspoken supporters, stirred controversy in an appearance on NBC's "Saturday Night Live" last month when he wore a "Make America Great Again" hat during his performance and delivered a pro-Trump speech to the studio audience.More news: Trump, Kanye Meet In The Oval Office
According to the Washington Post's Felicia Sonmez, quoting from another Post reporter, West referred to his own comments as "a fine wine" and also, brace yourself, said he'd be open to running for president "after 2024".
In an extraordinary, mostly uninterrupted rant, West said that he was recently diagnosed as being bipolar, but he insisted the diagnosis was wrong and that he was merely sleep-deprived.
Invited to speak by Trump, West launched into a long, winding discourse, occasionally slapping the Resolute Desk for emphasis. Stop and frisk not only has proven more harmful than effective at reducing crime; it has been ruled unconstitutional.
Mr Trump said he'd been willing to "look at it", adding, "they have to do something".
He's also locked in a dispute with several black NFL football players who have knelt down during the playing of the United States national anthem to protest racial inequality.More news: Migrants to call regional Australia home under Government's new population plan
Kanye said the red MAGA baseball cap "made me feel like Superman", before telling Mr Trump: "You made a Superman cape for me".
He showed the president a video on his phone of a hydrogen-powered plane and said Trump should travel in it.
"There's a whole lot of people in this country that do give you a lot of credit for everything you've been doing for this country", he said. "When he sees that African-American unemployment is the lowest in history, you know people are watching".
"Listen, black folks are about to trade Kanye West in the racial draft", Setmayer said.
"I love everyone, right?"More news: SpaceX satellite launch lights up sky, social media
The dad-of-three also branded himself a "crazy motherfucker" at one point, before he hugged it out with the President at the end.
- Unscathed by Hurricane Michael, Lake City friends test their luck
- Paul Pogba reveals two areas of his game he must improve
- Cardi B and Post Malone ineligible for Best New Artist Grammy
- Alonso rues "random decisions" in F1 after Suzuka penalty
- This is what Amitabh Bachchan said about #MeToo campaign
- Cyclone Titli threatens to bring back Hudhud’s wrath
- Almost 500 people held under Mental Health Act in Lancashire
- 'Joker' movie extras reportedly denied break, locked in subway cars
- Ben Affleck Signs For New Movie With Gavin O'Connor
- Northern Irish party threatens to topple Theresa May's United Kingdom government