Cardi was denied based on the fact that she had received Grammy nominations in the past - best rap song, and best rap performance.More news: What we learned in Lakers win over Warriors
Post Malone has reportedly been removed from the Hip-Hop category at this year's Grammy category.
In a 2017 post explaining the process of selecting a Best New Artist nominee, the Academy described the category as having "the most complicated set of rules of any" other. Losing in a vote of music industry players ranging from executives to producers to publicists, the rapper was ultimately deemed ineligible for the nomination. In making their ruling, they pointed to Post Malone's chart-topping 2016 debut album, Stoney, on which hits like "Congratulations" and "White Iverson" appear.
The first round of Grammy nominee voting begins next week (Oct. 17), and there will be eight nominees in the BNA category, not five.More news: Florida takes stock of devastation from Hurricane Michael
The Grammy rules for best new artist additionally state that an artist can be eligible up to three times for the award, as long as they have released only three albums or 30 songs.
Malone was also a hot topic at the Grammys meeting for his recent album, Beerbongs & Bentleys, which was kicked out of the rap category and pushed into the pop genre, the source said.
The best rap album category is expected to feature stiff competition since the genre has heavily dominated the pop charts in the past year, with albums by Drake, Eminem, XXXTentacion, Cardi B, Travis Scott, Lil Wayne, J. Cole and Migos being proposed as possible nominees.More news: Migrants to call regional Australia home under Government's new population plan
- Hubble Space Telescope sidelined by serious pointing failure
- Razer Phone 2 announced and you better believe it has RGB
- This is what Amitabh Bachchan said about #MeToo campaign
- SpaceX satellite launch lights up sky, social media
- Northern Irish party threatens to topple Theresa May's United Kingdom government
- Selena Gomez enters treatment facility after suffering an 'emotional breakdown'
- Alonso rues "random decisions" in F1 after Suzuka penalty
- Ben Affleck Signs For New Movie With Gavin O'Connor
- Crew Rescued After Russian ISS Launch Fails
- Details Surface on How to Watch Apple’s Original Content