The Soyuz MS-10 spacecraft blasted off from Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan at 4:40 AM EDT.
Canadian astronaut David Saint-Jacques, a back-up crew member, is part of the crew set for the next scheduled-Russian Soyuz launch in December. NASA said search and rescue crews were en route to the projected landing site, expecting to arrive in about 90 minutes. Several minutes into the flight an issue with the booster forced the crew to make a ballistic descent back to Earth. Search and rescue teams are heading towards the expected touchdown location of the spacecraft and crew'.More news: UFC boss: Nurmagomedov won't be stripped of MMA title
Russian and US space officials said that the crew is heading for an emergency landing in Kazakhstan at an unspecified time. It read: "NASA is working closely with Roscosmos to ensure the safe return of the crew".
Dmitry Peskov, the Kremlin spokesman, told journalists in Moscow: "Thank God the cosmonauts are alive".More news: Joe Giudice Will Be Deported After Prison Release - How Did He React?
NASA coordinated a private event at Peabody's Coneburg Inn exclusively for Hague's extended family, sending astronaut Victor Glover to be a personal envoy to the family there.
The head of Russia's Roscosmos space agency, Dmitry Rogozin, said that it was creating a state commission to investigate the cause of the crash, and deputy prime minister Yuri Borisov announced that Russian Federation would be suspending manned flights until the incident could be reviewed. Robotic cargo launches using USA -built resupply ships are also scheduled to deliver more supplies to the station in the next two months. "A state commission has been established to investigate the causes" of the failure, he added. It is not clear at this time if that flight will be delayed as a result of the Soyuz MS-10 failure Thursday.
Russian Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov, quoted by Interfax, said the problem occurred when the first and second stages of the booster rocket were in the process of separating.More news: HMD Global launches Nokia 3.1 Plus and Nokia 8110 4G in India
- Meghan Markle’s Estranged Half-Sister Denies Being Turned Away After Uninvited Palace Visit
- Taylor Swift calls on fans to vote during AMA acceptance speech
- The 'scary-looking' view of Hurricane Michael from the International Space Station
- Dow Falls 430 Points as Bond Yields Surge and China Tensions Grow
- Kyrgios Beats Hasty Shanghai Retreat for Third Year Running
- Samsung Galaxy A9 gets leaked Geekbench results
- Minnesota kids diagnosed with rare, polio-like disease
- U.S. military moves command center as Hurricane Michael bears down
- USA markets drop sharply as investors are spooked by rising rates
- Selena Gomez Wrote About 'Negative Comments' in Last Instagram Post Before Hospitalization