The space agency tweeted: "There's been an issue with the booster from today's launch".
According to local reports, the rocket has made an emergency landing in Kazakhstan, and the crew are alive.More news: Democrats to force health care vote Wednesday in Senate
"Teams have been in contact with the crew".
Hague and Ovchinin will open the hatch to their spacecraft at 12:45 p.m. EDT (1645 GMT), when they will be greeted by their three Expedition 57 crewmates: NASA astronaut Serena M. Auñón-Chancellor, European Space Agency astronaut Alexander Gerst and Russian cosmonaut Sergey Prokopyev. A Reuters reporter who observed the launch from around half a mile away said it had gone smoothly in its initial stages and that the failure of the booster rockets must have occurred at higher altitude.
NASA confirmed the crew had landed safely back on earth at 8.23pm (AEST). NASA said search and rescue crews were en route to the projected landing site, expecting to arrive in about 90 minutes.More news: Minnesota kids diagnosed with rare, polio-like disease
A duo of astronauts from the USA and Russian Federation has blasted off for a mission on the International Space Station.
The Soyuz MS-10 spacecraft is seen moments after blastoff. Hague and Ovchinin will spend about six months living and working aboard the orbiting lab.More news: The 'scary-looking' view of Hurricane Michael from the International Space Station
- Red Sox play 'New York New York' in clubhouse
- Trouble for Hubble: gyro fails on space telescope
- These maps shed light on when and where Hurricane Michael will hit
- Joe Giudice Will Be Deported After Prison Release - How Did He React?
- New NES Games Now Available
- Korea, Russia call for "review" of UNSC sanctions in joint communiqué
- Hillary, Bill Clinton To Make 13 Joint Appearances, Including At The Forum
- Royal wedding excitement: Princess Eugenie reveals bridal party details
- USA markets drop sharply as investors are spooked by rising rates
- Hurricane Michael Downgraded To Tropical Storm After Battering Florida Panhandle