"China and the UAE exemplify this kind of progress, with both states among the highest overall climbers compared to 2017, purely as a result of the strong relationships they have built with partner countries around the world".
Dr Anwar Gargash, Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, has said he wants the UAE passport to be among the world's top five by 2021.
After having gained visa-free access to Myanmar this month, Japanese citizens cemented their place as holders of the world's most powerful passport.
Last year, a ranking of passports by worldwide global financial advisory firm Arton Capital showed that the Philippine passport is moderately weak, with its holders having visa-free access to only 61 countries.More news: Liveblog: Google’s Pixel 3 launch event at 11am ET Tuesday, October 9
Both the US and United Kingdom fell in the global rankings to fifth place, with visa-free access to 186 countries.
There are few things more liberating than travel - although some passports offer more freedom than others.
France and Germany came in tied third place with South Korea with a score of 188.
Japan overtook Singapore on the list, whose citizens can travel to 189 destinations without a prior visa, after Japanese travelers gained visa-free access to Myanmar earlier in 2018.More news: Hurricane Michael takes aim at Florida Panhandle, prompting evacuations
MANILA, Philippines - Ever dreamed about being going to nearly every country you please without having to worry about visa requirements and the dreaded visa fee? Denmark, Finland, Italy, Sweden, Spain: 187 5.
However, South Africa still ranks 3rd in Africa, after the Seychelles (25th strongest passport in the world, with 152 destinations) and Mauritius (31st strongest passport in the world, with 146 destinations).
However, Asian governments have signed up to 40 visa waivers in 2018, dramatically increasing visa-free travel for Asian countries.
Afghanistan and Iraq were ranked lowest on the index, as they have free-visa access to only 30 countries.More news: PSN ID Change Feature Announced, In PlayStation Preview Program Now
"Along with the Henley & Partners - Kochenov Quality of Nationality Index, the Henley Passport Index is considered the most credible reference tool within the investment migration industry", it said.
- Fortnite: Deep Freeze Bundle Brings Battle Royale to Retail
- Huawei Mate 20 Pro images reveal awesome 'waterdrop' style notch screen
- Britain sees Brexit progress, again calls on European Union to ‘meet us halfway’
- Melania Trump On Me Too: We Should Support Men, 'Not Just Women'
- Trump apologizes to Kavanaugh and declares him 'proven innocent'
- You Need To Watch Cardi B's OTT American Music Awards Performance
- Acute flaccid myelitis cases investigated across state
- International Monetary Fund upgrades outlook on Russian Federation as economy recovers
- Tropical Storm Michael could form late Sunday, hit the USA midweek
- Google Lens Now Built Into Pixel 3 Camera