Google on Monday said it has made a decision to shut down its social media network, Google+. But Google says it has no way of confirming these numbers or which users may have had their data exposed improperly.
"None of these thresholds were met here", they said.
The Wall Street Journal, citing anonymous individuals, reports that Google deliberately avoided disclosing the problem at the time, in part to avoid drawing regulatory scrutiny. Thankfully, according to Google, no developer was aware of the bug, was misusing the Google+ API, or had misused private data from users' profiles.
A spokeswoman for Google said that whenever user data may have been affected it determines whether to tell people based on a number of criteria.More news: Nokia 7.1 Plus Expected to Launch Today in India
The closure is only partial, however: While consumers will find Google+'s doors firmly locked, enterprise customers will be able to continue to use the service - should they so choose - with new features 'purpose-built for businesses'. Google also said that there is no evidence that and Profile data was misused.
Google+, like Google's previous social networking efforts Orkut, Dodgeball, Jaiku, Lively, and Buzz, was not a stellar success for the company.
Google says it began reviewing developer access at the start of this year, so these new policies might have arrived even without the WSJ's reporting.
Although Google discovered and patched the potential data leak in March 2018, the company initially opted not to publicize it.
"The consumer version of Google+ now has low usage and engagement: 90 percent of Google+ user sessions are less than 5 seconds".More news: Sarah Silverman Rips 'Too Far Gone' White Women Who Voted for Trump
Google could also face class-action lawsuits over its decision not to disclose the incident, according to the Journal. Now the bug in this API allowed access to private Profile fields of users to the Google+ apps.
"If you have a Google tattoo on you, then these are the phones for you", IDC analyst Ramon Llamas said of the Pixel's limited appeal so far.
In addition to shutting down Google+, Google also said that it will limit the access it gives to developers to user data on Android devices and Gmail.
Google+ is finally shutting down on a particularly sour note.More news: Woman visits fiancé's grave on wedding day in her bridal gown
- Pentagon Grounds Troubled F-35 Fighters After First Crash
- Channing Tatum 'Dating' Jessie J Following Split From Jenna Dewan
- Bipartisan Senate Group Forces U.S. Probe of Saudi Journalist's Disappearance
- Facebook unveils smart video chat speakers for home
- International Monetary Fund to launch financial assistance talks with Pakistan
- Galaxy S10 processor might have a dedicated NPU
- Bronson Burgoon has 1st-round lead at CIMB Classic
- African Billionaire Kidnapped by Gunmen at Luxury Hotel in Tanzania
- Don’t be too hard on him, Vladimir Putin tells Khabib’s father
- British couple killed as their taxi is swept away in Mallorca floods