The 27-year-old enjoyed another fine campaign with Atletico - scoring 29 goals in 2017-18 as his team won the Europa League - while he netted four times to help France to the World Cup title.
Griezmann previously slammed the three-man shortlist for the The Best award - Ronaldo, Modric and Liverpool's Mohamed Salah - slating: "It's a Federation Internationale de Football Association award and there's no Frenchmen".More news: Marriott Marquis City Center Doha Hotel goes pink this October
Manchester City forward Sergio Aguero is nominated as is another prolific South American striker, Edinson Cavani of Uruguay and Paris Saint-Germain.
Ronaldo, now at Juventus, won the Champions League for the third season in a row with Madrid, while De Bruyne inspired Manchester City's Premier League and EFL Cup double before a strong World Cup showing.
The Tottenham striker captained England to their first World Cup semi-final in 28 years in Russian Federation this summer.More news: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 has a 50GB day one patch
Antoine Griezmann, a World Cup victor with France and Europa League champion at Atletico Madrid, is nominated alongside global teammates, Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante, Manchester United's Paul Pogba and PSG's Kylian Mbappe.
Two goalkeepers are also among the first 15 - Thibaut Courtois of Belgium and Real Madrid and Liverpool and Brazil stopper Alisson Becker.
Other nominees are Pernille Harder, Lindsey Horan, Fran Kirby, Sam Kerr, Lieke Martens, Megan Rapinoe and Christine Sinclair.More news: Avengers 4 Star Mark Ruffalo Reveals Political Oriented Avengers 4 Title
PSG's Mbappe appears a dead certainty for the newly-introduced Kopa Trophy, which rewards the best players under 21, and is voted on by previous Ballon d'Or winners.
- The Walking Dead Season 9 Premiere Ratings Lowest Since 2010
- Here's how to order everything Google just announced
- Meet Spock in ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Season 2 Trailer!
- Trump apologizes to Kavanaugh, says he was 'proven innocent'
- Malema's EFF declares 'war' to remove South Africa's finance minister
- Ousted Guardians of the Galaxy director switches camps, tied to new DC Comics film
- Ignore even more phone calls with Google's 'call screen' feature
- Justice Kavanaugh makes low-key Supreme Court debut, after raucous confirmation
- Trump questions United Nations global warming report
- Stark warning says we have a decade to avoid catastrophic climate change