"Both petrol-diesel prices must be brought under GST immediately", Chavan said.More news: Apple's proprietary software is blocking third parties from repairing Macs
The prices of petrol and diesel will become cheaper immediately by Rs 2.50 per litre, with the Modi government on Thursday announcing a small cut in central taxes on fuel.
A day after coming down significantly due to a cut in taxes by the Centre and state governments, petrol and diesel prices went up by 19-32 paise across major cities on Saturday morning.More news: Senate paves way for Kavanaugh confirmation
On October 4, bowing to the demands of the general public which was largely condemning sustained fuel price hike, Centre announced a relief of Rs. 2.5 in total for consumers, of which Rs.1 has to be borne by the oil marketing companies (OMCs). On Wednesday, Brent hit its highest price since late 2014 at $86.74. However, in Mumbai, the diesel have gone up by 7 paise only. In Lucknow, every litre of petrol costs Rs 79.12, whereas the same amount of diesel is selling for Rs 71.28. In Mumbai and Chennai, Rs 2.65 and Rs 2.68 were reduced respectively, but in Kolkata it was just Rs 2.50.
Since yesterday, prices of auto fuels declined the most in Assam and Madhya Pradesh, followed by Jammu & Kashmir, Chhattisgarh and Arunachal Pradesh. Some 12 BJP-ruled states, including Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Assam and Gujarat, apart from poll-bound MP and Chhattisgarh, also reduced Value-Added Tax, which resulted into a reduction of the price of fuel in at least 12 states by Rs 5 a litre. Whereas Maharashtra government has not done any additional reduction on petrol price and Jharkhand also not slashed down the price.More news: Commission Withholds Khabib Nurmagomedov’s Check, but Conor McGregor Paid
The hike in duties in 2014-16 had led to excise collections from petro goods rising from Rs 99,184 crore in 2014-15 to Rs 2,29,019 crore in 2017-18.
- Part-time gains weigh on jobless rate
- Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court confirmation leaves everyone bruised
- San Diegans photograph Sunday night's launch of Falcon 9 rocket at Vandenberg
- Manchester United and Premier League 'not appealing' to Zinedine Zidane
- Far right, ex-military officer to face leftist in Brazil presidential runoff
- Tokyo's famed Tsukiji fishmarket holds last auction before move
- Pochettino surprised by Tottenham fans despite narrowly beating Cardiff at Wembley
- Kylian Mbappe Scores Four Goals In 13 Minutes As PSG Thrash Lyon
- India suspends bus driver for letting a monkey 'drive'
- "Buhari Deserves Your Votes" Zainab Ahmed, Udoma, Enang Tell Nigerians — APC Convention