On social media, Gilbert residents noted seeing birds "walking on a sidewalk", while others reported hitting several with their vehicles.
Gilbert Police Chief Ty Techar wrote on Facebook that he received about a dozen calls about "birds that appear to be under the influence, flying into windows, cars and acting confused". In recent days, they have been flying perilously close to windows and cars, and generally seem to be discombobulated.More news: Elon Musk Tweet Appears to Mock the Securities and Exchange Commission
"The reason behind this occurrence is certain berries we have in our area have fermented earlier than usual due to an early frost, which in turn has expedited the fermenting process".
Luckily, Techar says that, much like people, the birds will sober up after their berry bender and stop harassing unsuspecting townsfolk.More news: India skipper Virat Kohli clarifies on Karun Nair omission
Police in Gilbert, Minnesota issued a statement to address a growing problem in the small city. Residents sound concerned, with one responding, "That explains all the birds bouncing off my window lately!" and another claiming that seven birds had run into their vehicle. Young birds may be particularly susceptible to drunkenness because their livers have not grown large enough to handle the unintentional imbibing.
The police force is asking, however, that residents watch out for "any other birds after midnight with Taco Bell items", or "Angry Birds laughing and giggling uncontrollably and appearing to be happy". If they can't fly properly or keep their balance, intoxicated birds are at risk of crashing into hard surfaces. The birds, which get drunk on fermented berries, are becoming something of a nuisance and have even caught the attention of local law enforcement.More news: Nokia 7.1 with 5.84-inch PureDisplay, Zeiss-branded cameras launched
- Montgomery County Sheriff 's Office joins fight against breast cancer
- Mega Man Live-Action Movie Confirmed, First Details Revealed
- The most dangerous celebrity online
- The Goblin, a dwarf planet, found far beyond Pluto
- 4 dead, hundreds injured as Typhoon Trami sweeps through Japan
- Lindsey Graham Does It Again With Hilarious Response To Kavanaugh Protester
- Melania Trump Arrives in Malawi, 2nd Stop on Her Africa Tour
- Brett Kavanaugh: ‘We’re loud, obnoxious drunks’
- Artificial sweeteners are toxic to the digestive system, study finds
- Elon Musk mocks SEC just days after Tesla settlement