In a video uploaded by Giannis Giannakopoulos on YouTube on Tuesday (Sept 18), a large stretch of land alongside the water is seen covered in spider web, with shrubs and short trees all falling within the cloak.
"It's natural for this area to have insects, no one is especially anxious", he said.
Though those with phobias may find the sudden presence frightening, experts say these spiders aren't risky to humans and were likely just taking advantage of favorable mating conditions.More news: Here's our first look at Joaquin Phoenix's Joker in full make-up
More yummy gnats mean more Tetragnatha spiders, according to Maria Chatzaki, a biology professor at Greece's Democritus University of Thrace.
The web has been built by spiders of the Tetragnatha genus. "It's the ecosystem's natural reactions and once the temperatures begin to drop and the gnat populations die out, the spider populations will decrease as well". They thrive in hot, humid temperatures and continue to reproduce during that time.
"When these temperatures last long enough, we can see a second, third and fourth generation of the gnats and end up with large amounts of their populations", he said. A Greek scientist said an increase in the bloodsuckers' population this year contributed to the situation.More news: China trade war could last 20 years, says Ma
"It's the simple prey-predator phenomenon", Pergantis said.
But the spiders' romps will be short-lived, according to British media reports which quoted an interview done by Greek website Newsit.gr.
"These spiders are not unsafe for humans, and will not cause any damage", molecular biologist Maria Chatzaki told Greek news websites.More news: Floyd County Health Department Issues Statement on Early Flu Season
- Chloe Zhao Will Direct Marvel Studios’ Eternals Movie
- South Africa's Supreme Court Has Legalized the Private Use of Marijuana
- SpaceX moon passenger to invite artists on journey
- Aaron Rodgers Concerned Knee Injury Will Get Worse
- European Union leaders react to May's Brexit deal
- Cubs closer Morrow shut down for rest of 2018
- Taiwanese authorities arrest Cody Wilson, intend to deport him
- Rosenstein Floated Secretly Recording Trump, Talked Invoking the 25th Amendment
- Liverpool 'made a point' with PSG victory - Joe Gomez
- Before accuser testifies, McConnell predicts Kavanaugh will be confirmed