In a video uploaded by Giannis Giannakopoulos on YouTube on Tuesday (Sept 18), a large stretch of land alongside the water is seen covered in spider web, with shrubs and short trees all falling within the cloak.
"It's natural for this area to have insects, no one is especially anxious", he said.
Though those with phobias may find the sudden presence frightening, experts say these spiders aren't risky to humans and were likely just taking advantage of favorable mating conditions.More news: Aaron Rodgers Concerned Knee Injury Will Get Worse
More yummy gnats mean more Tetragnatha spiders, according to Maria Chatzaki, a biology professor at Greece's Democritus University of Thrace.
The web has been built by spiders of the Tetragnatha genus. "It's the ecosystem's natural reactions and once the temperatures begin to drop and the gnat populations die out, the spider populations will decrease as well". They thrive in hot, humid temperatures and continue to reproduce during that time.
"When these temperatures last long enough, we can see a second, third and fourth generation of the gnats and end up with large amounts of their populations", he said. A Greek scientist said an increase in the bloodsuckers' population this year contributed to the situation.More news: Google Doodle pays tribute to everyone's neighbor, Mister Rogers
"It's the simple prey-predator phenomenon", Pergantis said.
But the spiders' romps will be short-lived, according to British media reports which quoted an interview done by Greek website Newsit.gr.
"These spiders are not unsafe for humans, and will not cause any damage", molecular biologist Maria Chatzaki told Greek news websites.More news: Floyd County Health Department Issues Statement on Early Flu Season
- SpaceX moon passenger to invite artists on journey
- Nissan has transformed a pick-up truck into a mobile space observatory
- China trade war could last 20 years, says Ma
- Before accuser testifies, McConnell predicts Kavanaugh will be confirmed
- Kris Reveals She Helped Deliver Baby Stormi and Kim Is Grossed Out
- Liverpool 'made a point' with PSG victory - Joe Gomez
- Cubs closer Morrow shut down for rest of 2018
- Calls to ban iconic '70s-style baby walkers after numerous injuries
- Ex-Trump lawyer Michael Cohen boasts of aiding Mueller investigation
- Meghan Markle takes mom to United Kingdom cookbook fundraiser