State health officials urge residents and visitors to New Hampshire to protect themselves and their family members by using an effective mosquito repellant that contains 30 percent DEET, wearing long sleeves and trousers at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most active, and removing standing water from around homes to eliminate mosquito breeding grounds. Samples were submitted to the National Veterinary Services Laboratory, which confirmed the diagnosis of West Nile on September 7.
Health officials say early fall is the time when the risk of getting West Nile from a bite increases.
Use an approved insect repellent and follow the manufacturer's instructions. The first and second cases were diagnosed in August, and occurred in a 3-year-old Standardbred mare residing in Kent County with unknown vaccination status and a 2-year-old thoroughbred mare also in Kent County that was not up-to-date on its WNV vaccine.More news: National Hurricane Center Updates Current Status of Tropical Storm Florence
Try to stay indoors when mosquitoes are most active (dusk to dawn).
The virus is spread through the bite of a mosquito that had been feeding on an infected bird.
Most people affected by the virus do not develop symptoms, the health department said.More news: Details emerge about Browns' decision to part ways with Josh Gordon
However, in rare instances, the virus can cause meningitis, encephalitis or death.
Individuals who are most at risk for severe infection include those over 50 years of age and those with chronic illness or compromised immune systems.
This is the third case of West Nile reported in DE horses in 2018. "The best defence against the virus is personal protection".More news: Trump Calls Research Behind Hurricane Maria Deaths 'Magic' in Fresh Attack
- Storm Moving Closer to US
- Hurricane Florence: North Carolina residents urged to leave
- Regional Pot Workers Could Face Lifetime Ban From US News Centre News
- Seattle Storm sweeps Washington Mystics
- Could Hurricane Florence impact you? Meteorologists say yes
- Delhi Cop’s Son, Two Others, Held For Thrashing Woman on Camera
- Christina Aguilera upset she missed Cardi B's fight with Nicki Minaj
- Adrian Peterson scores 100th career rushing touchdown, ranks seventh all
- Google Pixel 3 teasers are worth a click
- Gov. McMaster cautions SC residents as Hurricane Florence moves toward state