Ortiz, Cuellar said, spent 10 years as an agent with the US Border Patrol.
A US Border Patrol agent has been arrested on suspicion of killing four women in two weeks and kidnapping a fifth. He says all the women worked as prostitutes.
The 35-year-old suspect, an intel supervisor for the Border Patrol, was found hiding a auto park in Laredo, Texas, at around 2am after he initially fled police on Saturday.
Further details were sparse. It's also not clear exactly when and where the crimes took place.More news: Jamie Dimon doesn't have the "smarts" to be president
The Texas Rangers in collaboration with the Webb County Sheriff's Office are investigating the death of a woman whose body was found in the same vicinity where the body of another victim was found a week ago.
But both Alaniz and Cuellar declined to discuss the evidence or say how the women were killed.
Juan David Oritz has been charged over the murder of three women.
The third and fourth were found in the same area this weekend. The sheriff described the veteran Border Patrol agent as a "serial killer". Cuellar said investigators believe Ortiz acted alone.More news: TCU Horned Frogs lead Ohio State Buckeyes 14-13 at halftime
On Thursday, 42-year-old Claudine Anne Luera was found fatally wounded off a roadway not far from where the previous body was found. Paramedics rushed the woman to a local hospital in critical condition. The names of the victims were not immediately released.
In a statement, Andrew Meehan, assistant commissioner for public affairs for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, said his agency's Office of Professional Responsibility, the U.S. Border Patrol and the Department of Homeland Security Office of the Inspector General are fully cooperating with all investigators.
"We want to reassure the citizens of Laredo that the community and your families are safe", the Laredo Police Department said in a statement on Saturday afternoon, according to the Houston Chronicle.More news: Florence pours on the rain amid fears of catastrophic floods
- National Hurricane Center Updates Current Status of Tropical Storm Florence
- A few former Dolphins nominated for 2019 Hall of Fame class
- Oil prices rise on declining USA crude stockpiles, looming Iran sanctions
- Athens prepares for Hurricane Florence, statewide emergency declared
- Details emerge about Browns' decision to part ways with Josh Gordon
- Toronto city clerk says it's becoming 'virtually impossible' to hold municipal election
- Trump Calls Research Behind Hurricane Maria Deaths 'Magic' in Fresh Attack
- Liverpool hold off Spurs to maintain ideal start
- Browns' Gordon (hamstring) out vs. Saints
- Could Hurricane Florence impact you? Meteorologists say yes