Neymar and Kylian Mbappe both didn't play for PSG against St. Etienne, with Thomas Tuchel resting the former while the latter served a ban for a red card he received before the worldwide break.
With Mbappe serving the first game of a three-match suspension following his red card against Nice and Brazil forward Neymar given a rest, Germany winger Draxler started on the left of a three-man attack and was soon on the scoresheet.
Four of those goals scored came in a 4-0 home success over Saint-Etienne on Friday, with Julian Draxler, Edinson Cavani, Angel Di Maria and Moussa Diaby on the mark for the Ligue 1 leaders.More news: Toyota Yaris GR Sport
"Not yet the 11th and I do not know my game system".
Without his two star players, Tuchel gave Julian Draxler a start, a move that paid off as the German worldwide put the hosts in front with a header in the 22nd minute after a long pass by Marco Verrati.
"I'm pleased also that we've played without having our heads turned by the game on Tuesday", added PSG's German coach.
PSG returns to Ligue 1 action after the global break, with the league favorite hosting Saint-Etienne on Friday.More news: Browns' Gordon (hamstring) out vs. Saints
PSG cruised past Saint Etienne anyway, winning 4-0 at the Parc des Princes.
"It's important to several options when we play".
"We know that Anfield is one of the toughest trips in Europe. Saint-Etienne was a good rehearsal", said the French champions' boss.
France's other Champions League contenders are Monaco, who face in-form Toulouse away on Saturday night before hosting Atletico Madrid on Tuesday. "It will be a big test for us, but we are confident". We can play with a bit more of a risk factor, perhaps.More news: Threat becomes reality: Florence begins days of rain, wind
- Government to cut down non-essential imports: Arun Jaitley
- BMW shows off self-driving motorcycle
- Revere man killed in shark attack at Wellfleet beach
- USA border agent charged in 2-week killing spree
- Needles found in Gladstone family's strawberries
- 'Our fordable smartphone will replace traditional laptop,' boasts Huawei CEO
- Experts disagree on whether Dallas officer could be credible
- Ibrahimovic scores 500th career goal
- Final Delta 2 launches ICESat-2
- TCU Horned Frogs lead Ohio State Buckeyes 14-13 at halftime