Originally, the pair fought past year in September in Las Vegas. This time it was Golovkin who was upset, and he stormed out of the ring without talking.
A GGG victory, like I had it, or 2. I think we controlled the fight with all the jabs.
"Canelo fought a great fight, congratulations". Some very close rounds that could have went either way.
"I thought we did enough to win but I can't complain because Canelo fought a great fight and that's why we have the judges", Sanchez said after the fight.More news: Final Delta 2 launches ICESat-2
Nearly immediately there was talk of a third fight between two middleweights who now know each other well.
"We would like to have a third fight, we will negotiate that, that's what we want". "For now I'm going to enjoy it with my family".
Both fighters were cut in the course of the bout, Canelo sporting a long laceration underneath his left eyebrow, with Golovkin cut around the right eye and with swelling to his high cheekbones.
Although two of the three judges scored the final round for Alvarez, who became the new WBC/WBA 160-pound world titleholder, many ringside scored the 12th round for Golovkin.
"We're losing the fight!"More news: Apple Is Releasing Its Largest iPhone to Date, the XS Max
"Some very close rounds that could have went either way". Golovkin landed several big punches to start the 12th round but still lost it on the two scorecards that ended up favouring Alvarez. The pair was originally scheduled to rematch on May 5 until a pair of alleged positive tests for clenbuterol lead to Golden Boy Promotions withdrawing Canelo from the fight.
The Las Vegas fight came almost a year to the day since a split-decision draw left the Kazakh boxer stunned.
"I'm bothered by all the stupid things they've been saying", Alvarez said earlier in the week.
Alvarez, a man steeped in the art of fighting with six brothers who also hold professional boxing records, was game in walking forward repeatedly, a contrast to his a largely back-foot performance last time. "It was a clear victory". Great fight, but GGG can feel that decision should have gone his way.More news: Experts disagree on whether Dallas officer could be credible
- Threat becomes reality: Florence begins days of rain, wind
- 2 cases of African swine fever detected in Belgium
- Needles found in Gladstone family's strawberries
- Former Red Claws player Jabari Bird faces assault, strangulation charges
- Thousands without power in Charlotte area as Tropical Storm Florence approaches
- Dutch 'expelled two Russian spies over Novichok lab plot'
- Kavanaugh denies high school assault allegation
- 'Our fordable smartphone will replace traditional laptop,' boasts Huawei CEO
- Zimbabwe cholera death toll rises to 25
- Eliud Kipchoge Breaks Marathon World Record in Berlin