"Our air defense units responded to an Israeli missile attack against the Damascus International Airport", the agency quoted a Syrian military source as saying.
According to a Hadashot TV news report Sunday morning, the Iranian Boeing-made cargo plane was loaded with weapons, and had recently landed at the Damascus International Airport from Tehran.More news: Rugby Championship: South Africa stun New Zealand in Wellington
The Israeli military has declined to comment on the report but has in the past acknowledged carrying out scores of air strikes in the past, mainly against Iranian and Hezbollah targets.. A SANA reporter meanwhile reported sounds of explosions in the vicinity of the airport. Efforts were made to disguise the true objective of the buildings, the report said, with some of the warehouses labeled "United Nations" or "DHL", the worldwide mail company, in an apparent effort to evade Israeli intelligence-gathering efforts.
Syrian military air defenses downed several missiles fired by Israel near Damascus airport on Saturday night, Syrian state media said. The agency gave no immediate report of casualties or damage.More news: Trump Calls Research Behind Hurricane Maria Deaths 'Magic' in Fresh Attack
Earlier this month, a senior Israeli military official said the army had struck more than 200 targets in Syria, focussing on Iranian weapons and other targets.
Syria often attributes airstrikes on military bases to Israel, but the Jewish state only rarely confirms such strikes. Israel says it is alarmed by the expansion of operations by Iran and Hezbollah in Syria.More news: Jamie Dimon doesn't have the "smarts" to be president
- Good start carries Bengals past Ravens
- Texas A&M replaces Texas as most valuable program
- Washoe County Human West Nile Case Most Likely Acquired Locally
- Could Hurricane Florence impact you? Meteorologists say yes
- Gov. McMaster cautions SC residents as Hurricane Florence moves toward state
- Finance Minister, Kemi Adeosun resigns
- Prince Harry's wedding ring is different from other royal men
- National Hurricane Center Updates Current Status of Tropical Storm Florence
- Two Koreas open joint liaison office in North - pool report
- Big Brother is scrapped... or is it?