"If we are open quickly after the storm broke, that means the community is coming back and we are getting back to that sense of normalcy", Pat Warner, director or PR at Waffle House, said in an interview on CNN on Wednesday.
The Waffle House on Frontage Road in Myrtle Beach was eerily empty two days before Hurricane Florence is expected to make landfall somewhere in the Carolinas, a sign to many that this storm is ones to take seriously.
Just as FOX 5 News brings in special teams to the area, so does Waffle House. However, The Post would like you to know that waiting to leave until Waffle House closes is not the recommended practice for storm planning.More news: Novichok Suspects: We Only Went To Salisbury To See The Cathedral
On Tuesday, Waffle House tweeted a photo of personnel hunkered down in a situation room, in front of screens with maps and the hurricane's projected path. "Plan ahead and be safe", the company encouraged its customers.
That's right: One of the South's most popular breakfast chains plays an important role in hurricane forecasting.
But Waffle House is different - so different, in fact, that the Federal Emergency Management Agency actually pays close attention to which restaurants the company decides to close during a hurricane or other disaster.
One of the things that people know is that Waffle House is normally open. FEMA has since developed a color-coded system that is dependent on Waffle House's status.More news: Rockfall in Greece Leaves Seven People Injured
FEMA even uses restaurant sales bumps as an indicator in monitoring severe weather, more specifically through the Waffle House Storm Center. We call it red. "But our job [as corporate officials] is to give them all the support they need to stay open".
Waffle House is used as an example of how quickly a business, and therefore a community, may recover from a storm. "That's really bad. That's where you go to work", then FEMA administrator Craig Fugate said. If the restaurant has a limited menu, often meaning the freezer is out, it's labeled yellow.
"The sooner restaurants, grocery and corner stores, or banks can reopen, the sooner local economies will start generating revenue again - signaling a stronger recovery for that community", the agency wrote in a 2011 blog post.
Thank you to the dedicated Waffle House employees who are there to help out!More news: Hurricance Florence: Watch the storm close in from space
- New Apple Watch Series 4 steals the show
- U.S. Imposes Sanctions on N.Korean IT Firms
- Mother and Infant Among First Reported Fatalities as Hurricane Florence Makes Landfall
- President Trump Says Hurricane Maria Death Toll Rose Like 'Magic'
- At Least 5 Dead from Hurricane Florence
- Confirmed Tottenham v Liverpool line-ups: Winks starts, Son on the b
- World Cup champion goalie Hugo Lloris pleads guilty to drunken driving
- Apple Explains "Everything to Know" About iPhone Xs in 54 Seconds
- José Mourinho: Mino Raiola should say if Paul Pogba wants to leave
- Ramos returns to chair after Serena dramas as stats back him up