A Delhi policeman and his son, who is seen brutally thrashing a woman in a viral video, was arrested after charged with rape and criminal intimidation in two separate cases on Friday. He had allegedly threatened that she would meet the same fate if she did not marry him.
The police have filed a case against the accused under Section 506 and 354 of IPC (punishment for criminal intimidation and assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) after the victim, Jyoti, lodged a complaint against him.
The content of the video, which shows the accused slapping and using his elbows and knees to maximize the pain inflicted on the woman, was so horrific that it prompted the Minister of Home Affairs to tweet an appeal to the Delhi Police Commissioner to take action.More news: Taylor Must Play Better Following Sunday's Tie
The accused was employed with a call centre till last month and is now unemployed.
Rajnath tweeted,"I have taken note of a video where a youth has been seen severely beating a woman".
His friend who was filming the assault can be heard saying: "Rohit, stop it..."
The woman, seen in the video shared widely on social media and shown on TV channels, told the police that Rohit Tomar called her to his friend's office in Uttam Nagar and raped her, Anto Alphonse, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Dwarka), said.More news: Here's your sign: Waffle House closed until after Florence
The man was arrested after Rajnath Singh intervened, calling out Delhi Police Commissioner to initiate investigations.
The woman also alleged that she had approached Tomar's father hoping that the police officer would reason with his son, but the father too threatened her.
The police said the video appeared to have been shot by a friend of Tomar at a private office in West Delhi.
The incident reportedly took place on September 2.More news: GM recalls one million pickup trucks, SUVs
The cops have said that they have taken stern action.
- SC prisoners evacuated due to Hurricane Florence, SCDC says
- European Union lawmakers vote to take measures against Hungary
- U.S. Imposes Sanctions on N.Korean IT Firms
- Trump expected to visit areas hit by Hurricane Florence
- IPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are already selling out — Surprise
- Hurricane Florence weakens to Category 1 storm
- Confirmed Tottenham v Liverpool line-ups: Winks starts, Son on the b
- FEMA to test 'Presidential Alert' system next week
- Seattle Storm sweeps Washington Mystics
- Hurricane Florence: North Carolina residents urged to leave