Although the Browns never provided an official reason behind Gordon's release, it was reported by The Athletic's Zac Jackson that Gordon was late to the team facility Saturday morning. Gordon did not travel with the team to Louisiana.More news: Toronto city clerk says it's becoming 'virtually impossible' to hold municipal election
Wide receiver Josh Gordon and linebacker Christian Kirksey have both been ruled out with injury for the Week 2 contest.
Gordon missed much of training camp when he took a leave of absence for treatment for drug and alcohol addiction.More news: Finance Minister, Kemi Adeosun resigns
Kirksey, who had been listed as questionable, will miss his first game after playing in 65 straight since being drafted third round in 2014. Gordon was slowed by a hamstring issue when he finally reported, but it's not clear if his new injury is the same hamstring. The receiver caught just one pass on three targets, but it was a 17-yard touchdown that tied the game with less than two minutes left in regulation. Factoring the off-the-field concerns into what was possibly going to be a diminished product due to the time away from the field and an inability to remain healthy undoubtedly played a part in the decision. He led the league with 1,646 receiving yards on 87 receptions in 2013, his second year as a pro, but then played just 10 games over the next four seasons while serving multiple violations of the NFL's substance abuse policy.
Jackson refused to elaborate on the situation this week, saying he and the coaching staff wanted to "move on".More news: Liverpool hold off Spurs to maintain ideal start
- Details emerge about Browns' decision to part ways with Josh Gordon
- Prince Harry's wedding ring is different from other royal men
- Gov. McMaster cautions SC residents as Hurricane Florence moves toward state
- Big Brother is scrapped... or is it?
- Regional Pot Workers Could Face Lifetime Ban From US News Centre News
- Could Hurricane Florence impact you? Meteorologists say yes
- Rugby Championship: South Africa stun New Zealand in Wellington
- National Hurricane Center Updates Current Status of Tropical Storm Florence
- Texas board of ed drops Hillary Clinton, Helen Keller from history classes
- Two Koreas open joint liaison office in North - pool report