The Modern-Era nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Class of 2019 is comprised of 102 players and coaches, including two prominent former New Orleans Saints, linebacker Sam Mills, and defensive tackle/nose tackle, La'Roi Glover. The Modern Era nominees will be trimmed to 25 semifinalists in November and to 15 finalists in January.
Over 17 seasons with Kansas City (1997-08) and the Atlanta Falcons (2009-13), Gonzalez earned 14 Pro Bowl selections (1999-08, 2010-13) and 10 first- or second-team All-Pro honors from the Associated Press.More news: Trump Wants to Change NAFTA to USMC Pact
Highlighted on Thursday's list are four first-time candidates: tight end Tony Gonzalez, linebacker London Fletcher, corner Champ Bailey and safety Ed Reed. He ranks second in National Football League history with 1,325 receptions and is the Chiefs' career record holder for receptions (916) and receiving yards (10.940). He has advanced as a finalists in the top 15 for the past five years. Among his 64 career picks were returns for touchdowns of 106 and 107 yards. Reed won a Super Bowl in the 2012 season.
This year's compilation includes 47 offensive players, 39 defensive players, and five special teamers. In addition to the 11 player nominees and one coach nominee, the Broncos also have a contributor finalist: owner Pat Bowlen.More news: Delhi Cop’s Son, Two Others, Held For Thrashing Woman on Camera
Joining Gonzalez on the list of nominees are former Chiefs' defensive end Neil Smith (1988-96), cornerback Albert Lewis (1983-1993), defensive end Leslie O'Neal (1998-99), cornerback Ty Law (2006-07), quarterback Dave Krieg (1992-93) and head coaches Marty Schottenheimer (1989-98) and Dick Vermeil (2001-05). Inductions will be in early August in Canton, Ohio.More news: Here's your sign: Waffle House closed until after Florence
- European Union lawmakers vote to take measures against Hungary
- Taylor Must Play Better Following Sunday's Tie
- GM recalls one million pickup trucks, SUVs
- Storm Moving Closer to US
- Hurricane Florence: North Carolina residents urged to leave
- Google Pixel 3 teasers are worth a click
- SC prisoners evacuated due to Hurricane Florence, SCDC says
- Christina Aguilera upset she missed Cardi B's fight with Nicki Minaj
- Adrian Peterson scores 100th career rushing touchdown, ranks seventh all
- U.S. Imposes Sanctions on N.Korean IT Firms