The Reds made a statement on Saturday, producing a convincing performance to beat Tottenham at Wembley 2-1.
Georginio Wijnaldum opened the scoring for Liverpool at Wembley before Firmino doubled the visitors' lead ten minutes after half-time.
Spurs won their opening three matches of the campaign but have now suffered back-to-back defeats against Watford and Liverpool. A lot of people play our games when we play Champions League football and that's our job, that we do the best we can do in all those games. "The result is the most important thing and the result is ideal".
'I am sure he will play on Tuesday and he will get plenty of game time.More news: Bring on Pacquiao, says Amir
But Tottenham were careless from start to finish and they paid the price in the 39th minute.
The final 2-1 scoreline was flattering for Spurs.
"Winning here is so hard, unbelievably difficult, so I never expect that".
Liverpool were less affected by the demands of World Cup action than their title rivals and it has shown in their fine start to the season with four straight Premier League wins to sit top of the table. The first half I think was even and we conceded again from a set piece.More news: Florence lands in Myrtle Beach area, bringing rain, wind, flooding
It remains to be seen which players make the squad for the Tottenham game but the bench we saw against Leicester last time out of Mignolet, Sturridge, Keita, Moreno, Lallana, Shaqiri and Matip is a world away. "I'm not sure, but maybe we have an injury with Roberto".
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has hit back at Gary Neville after the former Manchester United defender, now TV pundit, suggested that the Reds should forget about competing in the Champions League this season in order to give their chances of winning the Premier League title a boost.
Klopp was cautious after the incident but refused to blame Vertonghen as he said he did not see the incident from his spot on the touchline.
'With Hendo, we need him so much and I don't think it makes sense in the moment to play him, ' he told Sky Sports before the lunchtime kick off.More news: Pep Guardiola clarifies Kevin De Bruyne buy-out clause quotes
- Pam Knox: Georgians should be on lookout for Florence
- Novichok Suspects: We Only Went To Salisbury To See The Cathedral
- Mother and Infant Among First Reported Fatalities as Hurricane Florence Makes Landfall
- President Trump Says Hurricane Maria Death Toll Rose Like 'Magic'
- Ramos returns to chair after Serena dramas as stats back him up
- Who Is Yassie Safai? Girl Behind Dustin Johnson-Paulina Gretzky Split
- Weather Report: Tropical Storm Isaac still expected to affect Barbados
- Syria’s Looming Idlib Offensive Is Stalled by Turkey
- NASA posts incredible video of Hurricane Florence from space
- Apple ditches dongles for older iPhones too