People embark a vessel after a landslide occurred at the popular beach of Navagio, or Shipwreck Beach, on the western island of Zakynthos, Greece, Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018.
A landslide at a beach on the Greek tourist island of Zakynthos has been caught on camera.
Fire department rescue crews headed to the area accompanied by a sniffer dog, while the coast guard evacuated the beach and banned boats from approaching until further notice.More news: Nintendo Entertainment System Controllers Announced for Switch’s Online Members
"We haven't found any trapped people but we will continue searching", a spokesperson for the fire brigade said.
Video footage of the terrifying moment showed the rock from the limestone cliff face split and plummet to the shore, sending waves crashing over tourists. A few small boats overturned from high waves caused by the force of the fall, witnesses told authorities.
The beach, also known as "shipwreck beach", is popular with tourists and can be reached only by boat. One woman was reportedly treated for a fractured vertebra.More news: Incredible video shows plane flying into eye of Hurricane Florence
According to BBC News, at least seven people were injured.
Her husband and two children were hospitalised with minor injuries.
Lynette Bridges, 58, said her tour boat had just pulled up on Zante's Shipwreck Beach when an enormous sheet of stone crashed into the sea, capsizing boats and flooding the crowded sands.More news: Hurricane Florence starts its prolonged assault on the Carolinas
- Hurricane Florence DOWNGRADED to Category 1 as it continues path of DESTRUCTION
- Erdogan warns any Idlib attack will affect Europe
- Hurricane Florence: Georgia Governor declares state of EMERGENCY for all 159 counties
- Arsenal manager Unai Emery preparing for 'difficult' Newcastle United test
- Alan Wake is Being Adapted into a TV Series
- Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age Heads to Nintendo Switch in 2019
- USA reached out to China for new trade talks, sources say
- Spurs coach Pochettino ruled out 4 stars from Liverpool tie
- Meghan Markle labelled 'duchASS' by angry sister Samantha
- Catholic sex abuse scandal widens after U.S. bishop quits