JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii-The U.S. has identified the remains of two service members among the 55 boxes returned by North Korea this summer, officials from the Defense POW/MIA Accountability Agency said Monday.
"One of the reasons that we were able to identify them so quickly [was because their remains] were more complete than usual so it gave us more to look at and narrow down the identity with", Byrd told The Wall Street Journal.
"The IDs will be made officially in the next couple of days", said John Byrd, the director of scientific analysis at the US Defence POW/MIA Accounting Agency.More news: Watch live streaming video of Hurricane Florence rolling into North Carolina
The US has successfully identified two American service members from among the remains North Korea returned this July as part of the agreement signed by President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore.
Mattis says talks are ongoing with North Korea to get additional remains repatriated. Of those, around 5,300 American casualties are still believed to be in North Korea.
Nevertheless, according to the U.S, the identifications process is anticipated to chip away at least 7,699 USA troops who remain unaccounted for in the Korean War.More news: Apple's cheaper iPhone XR rocks bright colours
Forensic anthropologists have been examining the remains at a facility on Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Reuters reported.
Sampling for DNA analysis has been carried out so far on about half of the boxes of remains, they said.
Other tables included personal objects from soldiers that don't have any identification on them, including buttons, canteens and old boots. He also said that consultations are going on about the repatriation of more Korean War remains.More news: DisRespect' Reacts to Shots Fired at His House During Live Broadcast
The July transfer coincided with the 65th anniversary of the 1953 armistice that ended fighting between North Korean and Chinese forces and South Korean and US -led forces under the U.N. Command.
- Flu vaccine clinics in South Lake Tahoe and West Slope
- Google Made Another Headphone Dongle for the Pixel 2 for $12
- Digger: Klopp doesn't need silverware this season
- The New $1,449 iPhone Won't Include A Free Headphone Dongle
- Pound rises on Barnier’s Brexit comments ZlotoNews
- Russian bombers intercepted by USA fighter jets west of Alaska
- Rain-hit BMW Championship eyes Tuesday finish if needed
- Tottenham Hotspur without Dele Alli and Hugo Lloris against Liverpool
- Turkey's central bank raises interest rate to 24%
- Ray Allen pays tribute to Reggie Miller in Hall of Fame speech