Later in the day, Dimon expressed regret for his latest discourse into politics and denied any interest in running for president. He campaigned as someone who would stand up to the industry, and his closing ad flashed a Wall Street sign, Federal Reserve logos, and the New York Stock Exchange over eerie music and a speech.
'I can't beat the liberal side of the Democratic Party, ' he said. 'It wasn't a gift from Daddy'.
Dimon said his original remark "proves I wouldn't make a good politician". (CNBC has the full transcript of his comments.) But within hours, the bank had sent out a statement, per Bloomberg: "I should not have said it", Dimon said.More news: Despite Trump tweet, Ford says it won't make hatchback in US
This whole thing with Jamie Dimon becoming emperor of the world stopped being amusing months ago and you just want to visit here every few days for a Bill Ackman photoshop and watch us kick Deutsche Bank in what's left of its nuts.
Shortly after the event ended, Dimon released a statement saying he shouldnt have made the comments and indicating they were prompted by frustration over Washington gridlock on important issues.
'I grew up in a poorer part of Queens than he did, but I am a banker.More news: OnePlus Confirm That The 6T Won't Have a Headphone Jack
Dimon, 62, has said publicly in the past he will not run for president and does not have the temperament for the job. The fact that investment bankers notoriously play both sides of the fence and elect people from both parties also means they aren't welcome in most partisan circles. "I am part of the elite", Dimon continued.
Dimon has said while he disagreed with Trump politically he felt it was his patriotic duty to serve on the council.More news: Real Madrid 'join Frenkie de Jong race'
Dimon later said he wished he hadn't said that, adding, "I'm not a political expert".
- Auto ploughs into crowd in China killing several people
- White House says everything is fine, though signs point otherwise
- FDA Considering Ban on Flavored E-cigarettes
- Suu Kyi finally acknowledges Rohingya crisis missteps
- Check out the official iPhone XS, XS Max and XR promo videos
- EPL: Marcus Rashford takes final decision on future with Manchester United
- Here's Who Will Appear on Dancing with the Stars Season 27
- Hugo Lloris to keep captaincy confirms Mauricio Pochettino
- California Commits to 100 Percent Renewable Energy By 2045
- Ericsson wins United States dollars 3.5 bln contract for T-Mobile 5G network