Trump's national security team was reportedly aghast at the idea.
A spokesperson for the National Security Council responded to a proposition by Erik Prince, the Blackwater founder and ally to President Trump, to send a small, privatized force to fight on behalf of the United States in Afghanistan.
Conversely, top US military and national security officials fear Prince's proposal of using government contractors to engage in war is questionably unethical, if not merely risky to national security, according to the report.More news: Deven Davis, Wife of Korn Frontman Jonathan Davis, Dead at 39
In an interview with NBC News, Prince said he thinks Trump's advisers are painting "as rosy a picture as they can" in the war effort while claiming that peace is near.
Prince's plan is roughly a $3.5 billion package, saving nearly taxpayers almost $52 billion, he told NBC News.
Trump's "advisers are anxious his impatience with the Afghanistan conflict will cause him to seriously consider proposals like Prince's or abruptly order a complete US withdrawal", according to the report.More news: House of Fraser takes website offline after customer complaints
Prince also told NBC News that he will soon launch a media campaign to bring the White House around to his proposal.
"The president, like most Americans, would like to see more progress in Afghanistan".
Prince's appearance on MSNBC came shortly after NBC News reported that Trump is growing increasingly impatient with his own administration's strategy and looking toward Prince-the brother of billionaire Education Secretary Betsy DeVos-for possible alternatives.More news: Virat Kohli 97 leads triumphant first day for India against England
As head of Blackwater, Erik Prince's mercenaries committed multiple war crimes in Iraq and were convicted for their involvement in the Nissour Square massacre that killed 17 civilians.
- Emery 'happy without the result' as Arsenal comeback falls short
- Argument over Aretha Franklin biopic leads to shooting
- Westminster crash: Salih Khater, 29, charged with two counts of attempted murder
- Trump accuses 'social media' of limiting free speech of conservatives
- Manigault Newman has more than audio recordings
- Cincinnati Open: Lightning assists Roger Federer's double win day
- Meat-heavy low-carb diets can 'shorten lifespan'
- How much money Tesla short sellers made after Elon Musk's NYT profile
- Amazingly preserved remains of 99 MILLION-year-old beetle found in amber
- NSW Bushfires In Ulladulla, Nowra