The quake struck just after midday Sunday and was nearly 560 kilometers deep, the USGS said. The temblor had a depth of almost 2 miles, according to USGS.
Residents said the quake was felt strongly in East Lombok. I realised it was an quake.More news: Mark Lawrenson makes Arsenal admission ahead of Chelsea FC clash
It comes two weeks after a 6.9-magnitude quake in the same area, in which more than 400 people have died.
He said the quake was extremely large for it's depth, with there being only four other earthquakes at that magnitude and depth since the 1900s.More news: Manigault Newman has more than audio recordings
It is in the earthquake-prone Pacific "Ring of Fire", known for tsunamis and volcanoes.
In 2004, a tsunami triggered by a magnitude 9.3 undersea natural disaster off the coast of Sumatra, in western Indonesia, killed 220,000 people in countries around the Indian Ocean, including 168,000 in Indonesia.More news: CDC: Drug overdoses hit new high in 2017
- Tropical Storm Ernesto On The Way
- Kane finally scores in August as Spurs beat Fulham
- Spyro Reignited Trilogy release delayed to November
- Rescuers help people in flooded Kerala
- Rapper Young Thug Arrested in Hollywood on Suspicion of Illegal Gun Possession
- Sony has sold three million PlayStation VR headsets since launch
- Chilean officials: Flights hit by wave of false bomb threats
- 37,746 Nigerian pilgrims in Saudi Arabia
- Genetic make-up of wheat has been decoded for the first time
- Amazingly preserved remains of 99 MILLION-year-old beetle found in amber