The quake struck just after midday Sunday and was nearly 560 kilometers deep, the USGS said. The temblor had a depth of almost 2 miles, according to USGS.
Residents said the quake was felt strongly in East Lombok. I realised it was an quake.More news: Virat Kohli 97 leads triumphant first day for India against England
It comes two weeks after a 6.9-magnitude quake in the same area, in which more than 400 people have died.
He said the quake was extremely large for it's depth, with there being only four other earthquakes at that magnitude and depth since the 1900s.More news: Body found in burning vehicle near Walt Disney World
It is in the earthquake-prone Pacific "Ring of Fire", known for tsunamis and volcanoes.
In 2004, a tsunami triggered by a magnitude 9.3 undersea natural disaster off the coast of Sumatra, in western Indonesia, killed 220,000 people in countries around the Indian Ocean, including 168,000 in Indonesia.More news: Emery 'happy without the result' as Arsenal comeback falls short
- Deven Davis, Wife of Korn Frontman Jonathan Davis, Dead at 39
- Sony has sold three million PlayStation VR headsets since launch
- Sixteen nurses at once pregnant at United States hospital
- Argument over Aretha Franklin biopic leads to shooting
- 37,746 Nigerian pilgrims in Saudi Arabia
- Chilean officials: Flights hit by wave of false bomb threats
- Rescuers help people in flooded Kerala
- Amazingly preserved remains of 99 MILLION-year-old beetle found in amber
- Meat-heavy low-carb diets can 'shorten lifespan'
- Chipotle to retrain workers after Ohio illnesses