"The local politicians who run Washington, DC (poorly) know a windfall when they see it,"Trump said in a statement a day after the Pentagon announced that it would postpone the event for at least a year due to the price tag".
Trump decided he wanted a military parade in Washington after he attended France's Bastille Day celebration. Never let someone hold you up!
What I find unbelievable here is that Trump tried to shame Bowser by claiming she was price-gouging his parade, but the estimate she cites is a fraction of what the event was actually projected to cost.
"Maybe we will do something next year in DC when the cost comes WAY DOWN", Trump said: "Now we can buy some more jet fighters!"More news: Independence Day releases ‘Gold’, ‘Satyameva Jayate’ storm the box office
About an hour after the president's tweet, D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) delivered her own caustic response on Twitter, indicating the desired parade would have cost $21.6 million to organize in the nation's capital. Bowser's clap-back game was real. But a United States official said the planning estimate had now gone as high as $92m.
Trump decided he wanted a military parade in Washington after he attended France's Bastille Day celebration in the centre of Paris a year ago.
OMB requested that the city, despite the lack of detail, produce ballpark estimates of how much it would have to spend - and be reimbursed - in order to provide security and other services.
The Pentagon chief told reporters travelling with him to Bogota, Colombia, that whoever leaked the number to the press was "probably smoking something that is legal in my state but not in most" - a reference to his home state of Washington, where marijuana use is legal.More news: Why Thibaut Courtois Won't Making His Real Madrid Debut Tonight
The White House Office of Management and Budget did not approach D.C. city officials until Tuesday to discuss logistical costs, a Bowser administration official said. And No. 2, whoever wrote it needs to get better sources. The Pentagon later said the Korea drills, which typically take place every August, would have cost $14 million - an amount dwarfed by the estimated cost of the parade.
The parade would cost about US$92 million, according to U.S. officials citing preliminary estimates more than three times the price first suggested by the White House.
The announcement was seen as a setback for the president, who had ordered the show of hardware after being impressed by France's Bastille Day parade past year.More news: Amazon Working On DVR For The Streaming Era
- Tesla Receives Subpoena Over Elon Musk Privatisation Tweets
- Former CIA directors issue unprecedented Trump condemnation
- ALL THE DETAILS of Nick Jonas' $ 200,000 Priyanka Chopra Engagement Ring
- USA welcomes Saudi Arabia's pledge of $100 mln for Syria
- Diablo 3 for Nintendo Switch launches with expansion in late 2018
- India vs England, 3rd Test: Rishabh Pant becomes India's 291st Test cricketer
- Pompeo announces new USA push to create "major changes" in Iran's behavior
- Manchester United midfielder Andreas Pereira earns first Brazil call-up
- Vigil held in Colorado town for slain pregnant woman and daughters
- Tsurenko upsets defending champion Muguruza in Cincinnati