Speculation about Paul Pogba's future at Manchester United continues to mount amid reports in the British media that the midfielder is afraid he will be punished if he says the wrong thing.
After he posted a cryptic Instagram message on Friday night thanking United fans and his team-mates without any reference to Mourinho, he has now given these comments when asked whether he was happy at United.
It was an impressive display that led to a standing ovation at Old Trafford and one that had Mourinho describing the Frenchman as a "monster".
"What do you mean being the real Pogba?".
Pogba replied: "There are things. and then there are things that I can not say otherwise I will get fined".More news: Arsenal vs Manchester City: 3 key battles in Emery’s league debut
Pereira linked up well with Pogba and compatriot Fred in United's midfield trident against Leicester City, and the Brazilian performed well defensively with three interceptions as well as winning five out of 11 duels.
"He got the captaincy and played very well, but Mourinho will have noticed the line and there will always be a response, because there always is".
"I don't think there's any question that a player would say that under Fergie because you'd have been finished".
Paul Pogba appears uneasy at Manchester United.
Pogba said "everybody was on the same page" in the France dressing room, from manager Didier Deschamps to the staff and players.More news: Algeria supports Saudi Arabia in its diplomatic row with Canada
United have never had a director of football before but it's a role that has worked quite well for arch-rivals Manchester City, who appointed Txiki Begiristain in 2012 to much acclaim.
The opening day of a new Premier League season is always bound to produce nerves.
He adds: "When people trust you, then you're good in your own head, and it's going to be easier". I came from the academy, I played for the first team.
"I am surprised by what Pogba has said, because it's pretty bold, I think it shows his confidence".More news: Mookie Betts adds cycle to already stellar 2018 season
- Unemployment rate drops to four-decade low in July
- Petr Cech Articulates Unai Emery, Arsene Wenger Differences in Leadership Style
- Liverpool confirm squad numbers for new arrivals
- Oscars to add 'best popular film' award, shorten gala
- Stormy Daniels' lawyer considering U.S. presidential run
- Everton set to land Chelsea defender Kurt Zouma before transfer deadline window
- Trade Desk shares rally on earnings beat
- Champions City are impressive winners at Arsenal
- Erdogan says US set deadline for pastor's release
- Fear being fined if I speak out, says Manchester United’s Paul Pogba