The Russian star was one of the players to behold at the Russia 2018 World Cup as he dazzled for the hos t country enroute to a respectable quarter- final finish at the World Cup. For the first time since the summer-transfer window was introduced 15 years ago, one team spent nothing: Tottenham.
The north London club have often done things differently when it comes to buying and selling players, with chairman Daniel Levy earning a reputation as a hard negotiator who is unafraid to leave things until late in the day.More news: Orca Mother Grieves Dead Calf More Than Two Weeks and Counting
"It's not about adding because it's fashionable to sign players", Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino said.
Tottenham Hotspur were the only team to register a zero net sales/receipts, with no activity in the transfer window. "Premier League clubs' gross player transfer expenditure of £1.2 billion continues to demonstrate the sheer purchasing power of the most commercially successful football league in the world". "We believe a lot in our players and why not repeat a similar season like previous year or the season before, and with more experience?"
As the Premier League's transfer window closed Thursday, the top title contenders have now completed their squad building until January.More news: Omarosa Manigault Claims There Are Tapes of Trump Using the N-Word
"But fans come to watch the team". "If we are happy with our squad and can not improve our squad, sometimes it's better to keep our squad together".
Tottenham spent enormously to reconstruct their stadium and there was little left to commit into bringing more players to beef up the squad. "It is not unreasonable to question if it was really the case that, alone among Europe's top clubs, Spurs could find no player who would improve their squad while our rivals strengthened theirs".
Arsenal legend Ian Wright has boldly predicted the Reds will overhaul Pep Guardiola's side who dominated the top-flight last season.More news: José Mourinho takes aim at Manchester United’s board
"We have to wait until the end of November to understand if we can fight for the title".
- Second Gazan killed by Israeli fire on border: health ministry
- Jamie Carragher reveals why he has SYMPATHY for Jose Mourinho
- 'Mourinho at odds with the United board'
- NFL finds 'defective' football in Steelers-Eagles game
- July exports accelerate despite Trump's tariff hike
- Discord will start selling games in a 'curated' store
- Li withdraws from PGA Championship due to wrist injury
- Puerto Rico Says Hurricane Maria Death Toll Is Likely More Than 1,400
- Valencia make €3m loan offer for Batshuayi
- Changes to ICBC premiums would see bad drivers pay more