Pogba has been United's skipper before, of course, but this felt different - a symbolic gesture after another peculiar week in the Mourinho era.
Sources have told ESPN FC that Barcelona and Juventus are both interested in signing the midfielder after Mourinho claimed the £89 million man had played well for France during the World Cup because he was fully focused on his football.
According to Manchester Evening News, Jose said: "I wanted to play Martial and in a certain minute, a certain moment of the game, he was flawless to stretch the game get them in the counter and I was afraid to play him because I knew that Paul couldn't resist for 90 and Fred would be in trouble". I am still enjoying playing football, I still love football and I still give my best with the team, for the team.
Still, his relationship with Mourinho - who dropped the player on more than one occasion last season, including for a Champions League knockout tie against Sevilla - led to Pogba being questioned over whether he is happy at United.More news: Premier League chairman speaks exclusively to The Voice
United starts the season just like it started the match: perfectly.
"I always love the club", he said.
"I am someone who is not (in) a role that I give to myself".
The result? A Manchester United victory.
However the French forward appear to frustrate his boss when leaving the pre-season tour of America early to attend the birth of his second child.More news: Gary Woodland sets PGA Championship record before storm suspends play
Yes, they went ahead inside the first three minutes through Paul Pogba's penalty, but what was important was the way they went after Leicester right from the off. "I think we are more the head coach than the manager", he said. "Everybody was on the same page".
"Some of us, me included, didn't have a lot of training and we played a game".
"When we have everybody with you, everybody next to you know they want to fight for you, obviously it's going to be easier, you know?" he said.
"I had only two options, Scott [McTominay] or Paul, but if I play Scott I play two two kids and a new player, so I asked Paul and he put himself available for the team and he was very, very good for us". "Like I always say, I always give my best for the fans, for my team-mates, for the people that trust me".More news: NCAA adopts college basketball reforms for agents, NBA draft
- Paul Pogba hints at bad relationship with Jose Mourinho at Man United
- Trump calls Omarosa Manigault Newman a 'lowlife'
- 'Mourinho at odds with the United board'
- Ford celebrates production of 10 million Mustang sports cars
- Authorities probe how 'suicidal' employee could steal plane from Seattle airport
- Omarosa Manigault Claims There Are Tapes of Trump Using the N-Word
- News Corp loses $1.4bn as paid subscriptions get a boost
- Australian woman killed by garbage truck in New York City
- Puerto Rico Says Hurricane Maria Death Toll Is Likely More Than 1,400
- Wall Street Rattles: Elon Musk Glides to Take Tesla Private