On Sunday, Elba posted a series of cryptic tweets, beginning with a heavily filtered selfie accompanied by the caption "my name's Elba, Idris Elba", a clear reference to the famous line spoken by Bond.
But while some fans might have taken that as a hint that Elba, 45, would someday don Bond's tuxedo, he followed up hours later with a photo of Public Enemy and another tweet name-checking one of the group's most well-known songs.
The message sent fans into a frenzy of excitement, as rumours abound that Elba may be named to succeed Daniel Craig as the next incarnation of 007.More news: Joko Widodo picks cleric as VP candidate
The latest round of speculation appears to have begun with a report in the Daily Star last week.
Fresh rumours emerged this week amid reports that Bond producer Barbara Broccoli said it was now "time" for a black actor to take the role.
Elba has always been rumoured to be in the running to take over the role of 007.More news: Arsenal v Manchester City
Elba, 45, made his name in gritty United States television drugs drama "The Wire" and won a Golden Globe for his role as a murder detective in "Luther", before moving to the big screen.
The online version of the Daily Star's story includes multiple promotions for Fuqua's new business, selling headphones that can be worn in the cinema in order to provide a surround-sound experience.
Craig will reprise the role of Bond, which he has inhabited since 2005, in the 25th Bond film which will be directed by Danny Boyle. In 2016, he told Good Morning America: "I think I'm too old for that".More news: PGA Championship: Tiger Woods flirting with cut line
- Ronaldo 'in intensive care' after contracting pneumonia in Ibiza
- Nobel Prize-winning author V.S. Naipaul is dead
- Turkey turmoil rattles Wall Street, banks take a knock
- 'I can not say': Pogba drops massive hint at United trouble
- Marcelo has 'called Juventus' to try and join Ronaldo at Juventus
- How blue light accelerates blindness
- Trump condemns racism, year after Charlottesville
- Danny Ings: I wish LFC all the success
- IKEA store attracts 40,000 customers on first day
- Bodies of 3 suspected terrorists found after Jordan shootout