Jan Ullrich's spiral out of control took a new twist Friday as he was arrested for assaulting an "escort girl" just before starting detox.
Police spokesperson Carina Lerch says the retired German cyclist was arrested early Friday morning after police were called to the hotel.
Police said he argued with an "escort lady" and "physically attacked and injured her".More news: News Corp loses $1.4bn as paid subscriptions get a boost
German police confirmed that a 44-year-old hotel guest had been arrested following a "physical confrontation". "Mr. Ullrich is still in custody".
According to the police statement, the woman provided extensive details about the attack while the suspect remained silent.
"An investigation is underway for attempted homicide, assault and battery, possession of risky goods, but the prosecution does not now see any serious indication of attempted murder ... and [therefore] reason to place him in pre-trial detention", she added, although a judge will decide this question Friday.More news: Sarri's 'Spanish' Chelsea get off to flawless start
The neighbour was revealed to be German actor and director Til Schweiger, who starred in Quentin Tarrantino's Inglourious Basterds. "I have done things as a result that I very much regret", Ullrich told the mass circulation daily.
Ullrich, the only German to win the Tour, was dogged by doping allegations throughout his career and admitted to the German magazine Focus in 2013 that he received blood-doping treatment from the Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, adding: "Almost everyone took performance-enhancing substances then. I took nothing that the others didn't also take", the 1997 Tour champion said then.More news: Ford celebrates production of 10 million Mustang sports cars
- 'Mourinho at odds with the United board'
- Australian woman killed by garbage truck in New York City
- Chris Pine And Chris Hemsworth Drop Out Of Star Trek 4
- Orca Mother Grieves Dead Calf More Than Two Weeks and Counting
- Discord will start selling games in a 'curated' store
- Donald Trump Threatens to Suspend Protesting NFL Players Even Though He Can't
- England ace Chris Woakes boasts absurdly low Test average at Lord's
- Dele Alli sinks Newcastle in Premier League opener
- NCAA adopts college basketball reforms for agents, NBA draft
- Authorities probe how 'suicidal' employee could steal plane from Seattle airport