Jan Ullrich's spiral out of control took a new twist Friday as he was arrested for assaulting an "escort girl" just before starting detox.
Police spokesperson Carina Lerch says the retired German cyclist was arrested early Friday morning after police were called to the hotel.
Police said he argued with an "escort lady" and "physically attacked and injured her".More news: Omarosa Manigault Claims There Are Tapes of Trump Using the N-Word
German police confirmed that a 44-year-old hotel guest had been arrested following a "physical confrontation". "Mr. Ullrich is still in custody".
According to the police statement, the woman provided extensive details about the attack while the suspect remained silent.
"An investigation is underway for attempted homicide, assault and battery, possession of risky goods, but the prosecution does not now see any serious indication of attempted murder ... and [therefore] reason to place him in pre-trial detention", she added, although a judge will decide this question Friday.More news: Premier League chairman speaks exclusively to The Voice
The neighbour was revealed to be German actor and director Til Schweiger, who starred in Quentin Tarrantino's Inglourious Basterds. "I have done things as a result that I very much regret", Ullrich told the mass circulation daily.
Ullrich, the only German to win the Tour, was dogged by doping allegations throughout his career and admitted to the German magazine Focus in 2013 that he received blood-doping treatment from the Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes, adding: "Almost everyone took performance-enhancing substances then. I took nothing that the others didn't also take", the 1997 Tour champion said then.More news: Pogba penalty sets United on way to win over Leicester
- Ford celebrates production of 10 million Mustang sports cars
- England ace Chris Woakes boasts absurdly low Test average at Lord's
- NCAA adopts college basketball reforms for agents, NBA draft
- Australian woman killed by garbage truck in New York City
- Gary Woodland sets PGA Championship record before storm suspends play
- Frank Lampard reveals why Leeds United beat Derby in Championship demolition job
- Maurizio Sarri not aiming to repeat Napoli formula at Chelsea
- Changes to ICBC premiums would see bad drivers pay more
- Lowry shoots 69 to remain in major hunt at PGA
- NASA's flight to sun delayed by last-minute technical issues