He described the newly elected Mexican president as "an absolute gentleman".
But the US negotiators do not want to apply the same guarantees to new Mexican auto plants, the officials said, as the potential threat of 25 percent tariffs would discourage new automotive investment in Mexico to serve the USA market.
Before he entered the meeting, Guajardo said Mexico was getting close to overcoming sticking points with the United States.
If the USA and Mexico can resolve their bilateral differences in the coming days, the source said it's "very possible" Canada's team - potentially including Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland - could rejoin negotiations later in the week. "And then the idea will be can we get a big trade deal prior to [Donald Trump's] next election" in 2020, Farley said.More news: Dele Alli sinks Newcastle in Premier League opener
"Canada must wait", Trump tweeted.
"We continue to be in the same position where Mexico and the USA need to continue to work out their issues", said the Canadian source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak publicly about the matter.
"But as I said before: nothing is closed until everything is closed".
Canada's foreign minister recently said the country is ready to resume NAFTA talks "as quickly and intensively as possible".More news: Former Tour de France victor Jan Ullrich arrested for 'attacking prostitute'
Earlier Friday, U.S. officials met Mexican counterparts in Washington to resolve.
"The next obvious question is, do we have a firm date of Canada physically going to join the talks?"
Industry officials also said the USA team had barely moved from its demands last May of a 75 percent overall regional content threshold with 40-45 percent content from high-wage zones - effectively the United States and Canada - with the only substantial change a slightly longer phase-in time.
Trump demanded NAFTA be renegotiated after repeatedly criticizing the 24-year-old pact as a "terrible deal".More news: NCAA adopts college basketball reforms for agents, NBA draft
- Lowry shoots 69 to remain in major hunt at PGA
- Sarri's 'Spanish' Chelsea get off to flawless start
- Premier League chairman speaks exclusively to The Voice
- Jose Mourinho: I wanted to bring on Anthony Martial but couldn't
- Authorities probe how 'suicidal' employee could steal plane from Seattle airport
- Jurgen Klopp feels Alisson will settle into the Premier League quickly
- Chris Pine And Chris Hemsworth Drop Out Of Star Trek 4
- Orca Mother Grieves Dead Calf More Than Two Weeks and Counting
- Ford celebrates production of 10 million Mustang sports cars
- Australian woman killed by garbage truck in New York City