He described the newly elected Mexican president as "an absolute gentleman".
But the US negotiators do not want to apply the same guarantees to new Mexican auto plants, the officials said, as the potential threat of 25 percent tariffs would discourage new automotive investment in Mexico to serve the USA market.
Before he entered the meeting, Guajardo said Mexico was getting close to overcoming sticking points with the United States.
If the USA and Mexico can resolve their bilateral differences in the coming days, the source said it's "very possible" Canada's team - potentially including Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland - could rejoin negotiations later in the week. "And then the idea will be can we get a big trade deal prior to [Donald Trump's] next election" in 2020, Farley said.More news: Anti-racist protesters in Charlottesville angered by heightened police presence, riot gear
"Canada must wait", Trump tweeted.
"We continue to be in the same position where Mexico and the USA need to continue to work out their issues", said the Canadian source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak publicly about the matter.
"But as I said before: nothing is closed until everything is closed".
Canada's foreign minister recently said the country is ready to resume NAFTA talks "as quickly and intensively as possible".More news: Jose Mourinho: I wanted to bring on Anthony Martial but couldn't
Earlier Friday, U.S. officials met Mexican counterparts in Washington to resolve.
"The next obvious question is, do we have a firm date of Canada physically going to join the talks?"
Industry officials also said the USA team had barely moved from its demands last May of a 75 percent overall regional content threshold with 40-45 percent content from high-wage zones - effectively the United States and Canada - with the only substantial change a slightly longer phase-in time.
Trump demanded NAFTA be renegotiated after repeatedly criticizing the 24-year-old pact as a "terrible deal".More news: Is the US-Turkey crisis beyond repair? | USA
- N'Golo Kante Equals His Best Premier League Goals Tally
- Frank Lampard reveals why Leeds United beat Derby in Championship demolition job
- Chris Pine And Chris Hemsworth Drop Out Of Star Trek 4
- Lowry shoots 69 to remain in major hunt at PGA
- Extraordinary audio of the Seattle hijacker conversation with air traffic controller
- NASA's flight to sun delayed by last-minute technical issues
- Trump calls Omarosa Manigault Newman a 'lowlife'
- Premier League chairman speaks exclusively to The Voice
- Sarri's 'Spanish' Chelsea get off to flawless start
- Orca Mother Grieves Dead Calf More Than Two Weeks and Counting