The 26-year-old striker has joined Southampton from Liverpool on an initial loan deal with an agreement struck between the Premier League clubs for the move to become permanent at the end of the season.
"It's completely normal, things have to go on and he has friends here - and will forever have friends here - so that's cool. That was an important factor in being able to bring him here as well because we want to enhance the dressing room and the personnel, so that's an added bonus for us".More news: Emery: Arsenal players should deliver against Man City
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp paid tribute to the forward, who endured a hard time at Anfield but was one of the most popular members of the squad. "Honestly if you could bottle character & spirit, his would sell worldwide". "But we won't just miss his character because he is a footballer who has all the tools".
Ings started his career with Bournemouth before joining Burnley in 2011 and he played one match for England in 2015. "We hope it is, we suspect it is, past year in terms of how the season panned out." he said. "The facilities are great and I can't wait to get started".
"We are going to try and be better, and be better at home as well, because I think it's important that we give our fans a little more encouragement and entertainment".More news: Jurgen Klopp feels Alisson will settle into the Premier League quickly
Hughes has no concerns over Ings' injury past.
"I think whenever you have a player who has a real feeling for the club that he's playing for and a special connection and an empathy, I think that makes a difference".
Ings could make his Southampton debut against former club Burnley this Sunday (1.30pm). They sacked Mauricio Pellegrino and replaced him with Mark Hughes in an effort to stay up and, though the new manager was able to steer them to safety, a total of just 36 points would have seen them relegated in most seasons.More news: Pogba penalty sets United on way to win over Leicester
- Anti-racist protesters in Charlottesville angered by heightened police presence, riot gear
- Extraordinary audio of the Seattle hijacker conversation with air traffic controller
- Gerard Pique: Barcelona and Spain confirms global retirement
- Dele Alli sinks Newcastle in Premier League opener
- Jose Mourinho: I wanted to bring on Anthony Martial but couldn't
- British pound falls lower against dollar, euro
- 'I can not say': Pogba drops massive hint at United trouble
- Maurizio Sarri not aiming to repeat Napoli formula at Chelsea
- Airline Worker Steals Aircraft, Crashes Near Seattle
- Actress Sean Young wanted for questioning in NYC burglary