Not enough money has been spent, says the Portuguese, who has seen three players added to his squad over the summer - Brazil midfielder Fred for $60 million, Portuguese defender Diogo Dalot ($24 million) and third-choice goalkeeper Lee Grant ($2 million).
Asked if nothing would happen in or out before the Premier League deadline at 5pm, he said: "The information I have is no (nothing will happen)".
"I am not confident, and the market closes today, so it's time, at least for me, to stop thinking about the market because the market will be closed".More news: New sanctions to target exports of electronics, lasers, oil sector equipment - Washington
"The list that I gave you before of the injured players is an important list and today after training I will speak with that group of players (back from the World Cup) because everybody is different, physically and mentally, to see how available they feel they".
"My view is that, first of all, is hard for me to believe we finished second", he said.
The striker turned broadcast pundit believes Liverpool's mental edge over City following three victories against them last season - twice in the Champions League and once in the league - could be the difference if City do not runaway with the title in the manner they did last season.
Liverpool FC finished the Premier League season in fourth place in the table to ensure their continued participation in the Champions League following a 3-1 loss to Real Madrid in the Kiev showpiece. I don't think just because they haven't signed a centre-back we should be sat here thinking "We'll let Manchester United off the hook, they shouldn't be challenging this year".
Whatever the explanation, the lack of new faces compounds issues surrounding the United squad heading into the Premier League season.More news: Exiting 'Fox & Friends' host could be headed to 'The View'
"They returned on Monday", he said. It's about if you really need them or not and then if you can get your target or not.
Pre-season has clearly been a frustrating time for Mourinho, while a perceived lack of respect for leading his side to second spot last term has got under his skin.
"Like any big club, they need some silverware - in his first season at Old Trafford, 2016-17, Mourinho won two trophies - the League Cup and Europa League - but he won nothing last season".More news: WF coach charged with assault in connection to death
- North Korea threatens to stall denuclearization in warning to US
- Everton Complete Double Swoop for Barcelona’s Mina & Gomes
- Israel bombs Gaza, Palestinians fire rockets as UN seeks ceasefire
- Dolphins receivers Stills, Wilson kneel during anthem
- Nunes Explains Why Rosenstein Has Not Been Impeached In Leaked Audio
- Kawhi Leonard thanks Spurs in first statement since trade to Raptors
- Sacha Baron Cohen's interview with Sheriff Joe Arpaio is absolutely nuts
- Watch the best goals and skills of new Everton signing Bernard
- God Of War’s Massive New Game Plus Mode Is Coming This Month
- Oman issues statement on Saudi-Canada stand-off