By United's calculations he had simply missed too much football through injury over the last three years - playing no more than 19 league games in each season.
The 2018/19 English Premier League will kick-off tonight with 20-time English Premier League winners Manchester United facing 2015 Premier League winners Leicester City in the Theatre of Dreams in Manchester.More news: High number of Cape Cod mosquitoes with West Nile virus
Brazil global Fred, highly-rated but raw full-back Diogo Dalot and third-choice goalkeeper Lee Grant all arrived at United by early July, but nobody followed despite Mourinho's explicit desire to bring in two more players.
"My perception is he arrived Monday, happy, proud, with a desire to work", Mourinho said ahead of Friday's opening Premier League fixture against Leicester. It will be interesting to see how Paul Pogba turns Manchester United fortune this season.
Newly-promoted Fulham brought in five new players, including Marseille midfielder Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa for a club-record £30m. Even though we have improved a lot, we need to keep improving.More news: New York Times debuts on ‘Magic Leap One Creator Edition’
Man United chiefs reportedly vetoed Mourinho's targets as they believed he was "targeting defenders who were no better than those they already had". Internally, the greatest frustration for Mourinho has been waiting for the return those players who had the longest World Cup campaigns. After a depleted squad took part in their pre-season tour of the United States, who will start tonight?
"But it's the same conversation as with (Ashley) Young, (Marouane) Fellaini, (Jesse) Lingard, it's the same. I'd prefer to look to the bench and to have them rather than to have 16-year-old boys without experience and without the power to be Premier Leagues players directly", said Mourinho. "It is a lie, repeated 1,000 times".More news: As Expected, SEC Delays VanEck/SolidX Bitcoin ETF Decision Until September
- Manchester United prepared to pay £100m for Real Madrid's Raphael Varane?
- First Lady of Indian cricket
- Orlando Magic to play regular season games in Mexico City
- US Senate offers Assange to testify about Russia's interference in US elections
- Perseid meteor shower coming this weekend to a sky near you
- Everton sign Barcelona defender Yerry Mina, Andre Gomes and Bernard
- Unai Emery welcomes Pep Guardiola battle ahead of Arsenal v Man City
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 forums are now open
- Jimmy Kimmel shuts down Kanye West's love for Donald Trump
- Dez Bryant tweets he will visit Cleveland Browns