With Gunn having made the offensive tweets prior to his involvement with the studio, he's not in breach of contract, with it potentially being more financially prudent for Disney to use Gunn's script.
Gunn, who was set to director the third installment of the popular superhero science fiction franchise, was sacked July 20 after decade-old tweets resurfaced in which he joked about topics including pedophilia and rape.More news: Germany warns US Iran sanctions could cause Middle East 'chaos'
The entertainment giant's decision to remove Gunn from any involvement with the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, for which he had already completed a draft of the script, was met with protest from his fans and colleagues in the industry who hoped to see him reinstated.More news: Google’s Pixel 3 XL could come with Pixel Bud-style headphones
Sources tell THR that while Gunn was under contract for the third Guardians of the Galaxy movie, it likely wasn't a "pay or play" contract, in which Gunn would have been paid regardless of whether his services were actually used. Dave Bautista, on the other hand, grew more irate with his comments each passing day, ultimately claiming that he would subject himself to any legal ramifications imposed by Disney by leaving the film if they didn't use Gunn's script.More news: Spanish fighter jet accidentally fires missile In Estonia
Right now, Gunn's exit is being negotiated by his talent agency UTA and his attorney Andrew Hurwitz. And this calls into question Disney's silence and inaction over the matter as well - why is it taking them almost a month to make any decisions regarding a new director for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3? Because Gunn could move over the aisle to Warner Bros.' DC universe? One source noted, "An end-all verdict hasn't been issued and conversations with Marvel are still ongoing". Whether that will be back at Marvel or elsewhere is the question.
- Mauricio Pochettino hails Tottenham Hotspur's Academy after successful USA tour
- Saudi rules out mediation in Canada row, mulls new measures
- Samsung Starts Mass Producing Cheaper 4TB SSDs
- Fallout 76 Won't Be On Steam, New Beta Details Revealed
- James Anderson's golf swing goes horribly wrong
- Tesla’s Board Has Met Several Times to Discuss Going-Private Proposal
- Subtropical storm Debby forms in the deep Atlantic
- Hiroshima marks 73rd anniversary of atomic bombing - 8/6/2018 12:45:44 AM
- First round of USA tariffs on Chinese goods to hit $50B - USTR
- Crude Oil Settles Higher On Supply Worries