"We are committed to producing an entertaining show in three hours, delivering a more accessible Oscars for our viewers worldwide", the letter reads.
Many have taken to social media to criticize Academy members' Wednesday decision to add the new bracket, which some view as an excuse not to nominate critically acclaimed blockbusters like "Black Panther" for best picture.
The Academy also said it would present a "select" number of categories during the ad breaks of the broadcast, with those moments edited and shown later.
Such wins prove the Oscars have always favoured the popular film, Twitter thinks.
Among the other changes approved by the board of governors are shifting the telecast date earlier in the year and taking some categories out of the live telecast.More news: Rick Gates, testifying in Manafort trial, admits to affair, London apartment
Future broadcasts will be three hours long and will include a new category that is designed around achievement in popular film.
Yet in recent years, the Oscars have tended to honor art house fare and performers, like best picture winners "Moonlight" and "The Shape of Water", for its biggest prizes rather than box office hits like the "Star Wars" franchise or superhero movies.
The new 2020 air date moves the telecast from a previously announced date later in the month.
- draemc (@draemc1)a popular film category???
What do you think of these changes coming to the Oscars?More news: West Virginia Offers Mobile Voting for Troops Abroad This November
The Academy Awards, often acknowledged as one of the more prestigious award ceremonies along with the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards, have announced some sweeping changes.
Among the changes is to present fewer categories live.
This is especially interesting as the Marvel Cinematic Universe has never won an Oscar - embarrassingly, despite Suicide Squad grabbing a Best Makeup and Hairstyling gong a year ago - but that could very well change with this new award category. After Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight was not included in the Best Picture category, the academy received backlash for snubbing the film.
This is not the first time the AMPAS has altered their rules in an attempt to get more commercially popular films to the table at the Academy Awards. The MTV Movie Awards? I hope that they will also think about what a big deal a new category is for the Academy and to that I say BRAVO to them.More news: HBO Hard Knocks With The Cleveland Browns Premieres Tonight: Final Trailer
- Ben Schwartz to voice Sonic the Hedgehog in Paramount’s movie
- Meteor shower in the Netherlands
- DWTNCS 16 results: Greg Hardy knocks out Tebaris Gordon in 17-seconds
- India vs England 2nd Test Day 1 live updates
- Arsenal chief Burgess: No pushback from players over Emery's new training methods
- Yerry Mina, Andre Gomes and Bernard join Everton on Deadline Day
- Tony Pulis wishes Adama Traore luck at Wolverhampton Wanderers
- European Tour Sends Wrong Tommy Fleetwood British Open Prize Money
- Packers writer proposes that Green Bay offer a trade for Khalil Mack
- Warmer weather could last until October, Met Office says