The company will also start featuring it more prominently on Roku TVs.
The Roku Channel has broken free of its Roku hardware shackles and is now available to access on the web. The Roku Channel on the webLaunched last fall, The Roku Channel has quickly grown to be the fifth most popular streaming app on the Roku platform (based on account reach), the company claims.
The channel, which was first launched in the September of past year, has also been launched on selected models of Samsung Smart TVs.More news: Saudi air defense intercepts, destroys Houthi missile launched at Jizan
Roku first launched the Roku Channel as an ad-supported VOD service on its own streaming devices and Roku TVs in September of previous year.
Roku launched its own channel with free ad-supported movies in September 2017, offering its set-top box and smart TV owners a way to watch content without paying.
On Wednesday, Roku took the next step by launching a web version of the channel that can be accessed both with PCs as well as mobile devices. "We're delighted to deliver even more value to our customers without subscriptions, complicated logins or fees", said Rob Holmes, Roku's vice president of Programming and Engagement, in a statement.More news: New Barcelona signing Arturo Vidal discusses Paul Pogba deal
"Roku is the leading platform for free entertainment and our users love it".
In the time since launch, Roku has added a few updates to the platform including, most recently, a slew of 24-hour news networks including ABC News, Cheddar, Newsy and People TV that help round out the catalogue with more timely content. The company is competing with Amazon, Apple, Google, and other major players, by selling streaming boxes at near cost and by partnering with TV manufacturers to have them use Roku as their TV platform. The company's plans involve monetizing the content by placing ads in a manner that it doesn't bother viewers.More news: Arsenal chief Burgess: No pushback from players over Emery's new training methods
- Pochettino unfazed by Spurs’ quiet transfer window
- Ruby Rose wants Batwoman to be someone kids can look up to
- Warmer weather could last until October, Met Office says
- DWTNCS 16 results: Greg Hardy knocks out Tebaris Gordon in 17-seconds
- Manchester United approach snubbed by Atletico Madrid star Diego Godin
- Mobile Essentials Is a New Unlimited Plan for $60 a Month
- Manchester United target Yerry Mina undergoes Everton medical in Barcelona
- Tribune backs out of Sinclair merger
- Patriotic tunes but no bed-lam for Ikea's Indian debut
- Drunk driver tells police she is a ‘thoroughbred white girl’