Seagal is an accomplished martial artist - like Russian President Vladimir Putin.
"In his new capacity Seagal is expected to promote the development and implementation of various projects of bilateral cooperation in the fields of culture, art, science, education, sports, public and youth exchanges, participate in relevant events on Russian territory and overseas and maintain contacts with US partners", it said in a statement. "I take very seriously my honor", said the actor.
Russia appointed actor Steven Seagal as a "special representative" on US-Russian humanitarian ties, the country's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement on its official Facebook page Saturday.More news: Rand Paul says he delivered Trump letter to Putin
According to the statement his task will be to promote US-Russia relations "in the humanitarian sphere", adding that the role will include collaboration "in the sphere of culture, public and youth exchanges", TASS reported.
The ministry said he would not be paid for his work and compared it to the role of a United Nations Goodwill Ambassador.
Seagal, who became a Russian citizen in 2016, has always been a supporter of both Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump.More news: Germany warns US Iran sanctions could cause Middle East 'chaos'
The countries have also been at odds over the Syrian civil war and the Russian annexation of Crimea. "I have worked tirelessly in this direction for many years unofficially and I am now very grateful for the opportunity to do the same thing officially".
Last Saturday, Russian officials tapped him for another role: special representative to improve relations between the U.S. and Russia. "In addition to my black belt, I'm now on a black list", the actor said in reaction, according to his spokesperson. Two years ago, Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka welcomed Seagal at his private residence at Ozerny, north of Minsk, showering him with gifts that included a book and a dagger.
Apart from his commitments with Russia, Seagal has co-signed dubious cryptocurrency schemes and has been accused by numerous women, including Portia De Rossi and Bond actress Rachel Grant, of abuse and sexual harassment.More news: Oscars Adding Popular Film Category
- Smash Bros. Ultimate Limited Edition for Nintendo Switch Announced
- Subtropical storm Debby forms in the deep Atlantic
- ‘Cowboy Ninja Viking’ Movie Stopped In Its Tracks By Universal
- Snapchat lost 3 million daily users in the past three months
- Crude Oil Settles Higher On Supply Worries
- Twitter head Jack Dorsey defends decision not to ban Alex Jones, Infowars
- Spider-Man: Far From Home casting reveals Infinity War clues
- James Anderson's golf swing goes horribly wrong
- Spanish fighter jet accidentally fires missile In Estonia
- Moment man is pulled alive from rubble in quake-hit Lombok