"And if a team flashed a first-round pick at Oakland for the services of Mack, who wants an extension beyond the nearly $13.5 million he is scheduled to make this season under the fifth-year option of his rookie contract and the two franchise tags that could await him in 2019 and 2020, the Raiders would be silly to not at least listen".
What's the word on the Khalil Mack situation, now moving close to a two-week holdout and generating increasingly antsy reports across the National Football League universe?
Mack, who is holding out in order to force Oakland to cut him a new and more lucrative check, is being rumored to be a trade candidate. Mack has been selected to three pro bowls, he has two first team all-pro selections, he was the AP Defensive player of the year in 2016, and was named an all-pro at both defensive end as well as outside linebacker in 2015.More news: Limited Edition PlayStation 4 Pro with Translucent Body Is Coming To Malaysia
But this offseason it appears Mack is unhappy with his current contract.
On Wednesday afternoon, Gary & Larry asked 49ers beat writer Matt Maiocco if the Niners would be interested in trading for Mack, assuming the Raiders put him on the block. Whatever the case, there doesn't seem to be a lot of progress between Mack and the Raiders and if the sides are waiting to see what happens with Aaron Donald, the impasse might be only getting started.
Oakland knows Mack wants insane money, and they simply don't value him that highly.More news: Tony Pulis wishes Adama Traore luck at Wolverhampton Wanderers
Maiocco also believes that DeForest Buckner - who he called the 49ers' best player - will be the key to the team's pass rush this season.
But, apparently Mack wants even more than that. Gutekunst acquired an extra first-round pick in next year's draft, and the Packers have tens of millions coming off the salary cap next offseason.
"I don't see why not, he would be ideal", Maiocco said of Mack. "Think of going from highest possible tax rate in a state-income tax level you can have at 13.3 percent down to one of seven states in the nation that has zero percent tax". Needless to say, he's one of the top five edge rushers in the game.More news: Karan Johar To Ascend ‘Throne’
It would be a tough pill to swallow, but a trade that could make sense for both teams is Khalil Mack for LaMarcus Joyner, and the Rams sending at least a first-round draft pick in addition.
- Indonesia's Lombok hit by another strong quake
- Pochettino unfazed by Spurs’ quiet transfer window
- Mobile Essentials Is a New Unlimited Plan for $60 a Month
- Dubai tourist runs up $65,000 in speeding fines driving supercar
- Bashar al-Assad's wife being treated for breast cancer
- Fortnite for Android launches August 9, but there's a catch
- Peter Dutton 'lucky to escape' deadly Lombok natural disaster
- The Academy introduces new Oscar category and statue: Outstanding Popular Film
- Priyanka Chopra hid her engagement ring and this could be the reason
- Thibaut Courtois deleted his farewell message to Chelsea fans within 30 minutes