Yet a downbeat Mourinho has admitted he may not get the defender he listed as his top priority when he submitted his transfer wish-list last May, as he admitted he was growing exhausted of the endless speculation ahead of transfer deadline day.
But, the late juncture of the transfer window in England means that the Premier League heavyweights have been actively pursuing a move for Boateng, with Toby Alderweireld and Harry Maguire the other major targets.
Manchester United will kick off their Premier League campaign on Friday night and Jose Mourinho will be eager to start the season on a winning note as they host Leicester City at Old Trafford, but do the Red Devils traditionally fly out of the traps in the first round of matches, or are they slow-starters?More news: Parenting in the age of Alexa and her ilk
"The information I have is no", Mourinho said at his pre-match press conference when asked if he expected any new arrivals on Thursday.
"I am not confident". "I'm not confident and the market closes today so it is time, at least for me, to stop thinking about the market because the market will be closed, so I will have to focus on the players I have". Despite being quick in making Fred, Diogo Dalot and Lee Grant sign on the dotted line earlier this summer, Mourinho's camp have been left frustrated in their pursuit of signing the likes of Harry Maguire, Mina and Jerome Boateng.
The Portuguese believes runners-up are often portrayed as if they have been relegated and those who finish below them are presented as "serial winners".More news: Chelsea set to sign Real Madrid star in exchange for Courtois
Mourinho is also due to talk to four of his key World Cup stars today to discover whether they are able to play in the Leicester game, having only returned to training on Monday. I was told that during pre-season it looked like I was saying something absolutely out of order, something insane.
"It looked like I was saying something absolutely out of order, something insane, I repeat: Pre-season hard when you don't have your players to work, that's as simple as that".More news: Chelsea Complete Signing of Kepa Arrizabalaga for World Record Goalkeeping Fee
- Female heart attack patients fare better if treated by a woman
- India vs England: Arjun Tendulkar bowls to Virat Kohli at Lord’s
- Xiaomi Mi A2 Pre-Order Sale Today via Amazon.in, Mi.com
- Hamas: we won't accept 'handouts' in place of long-term deal
- Breast-Feeding Tips For New Moms..
- Official death toll still 131 in Indonesia quake
- Qualcomm pushes 10nm power to Snapdragon 670
- Israel rejects European Union plan to link Gaza and West Bank
- The Academy introduces new Oscar category and statue: Outstanding Popular Film
- July sees rise in annual house price growth to 3.3%