Independent.ie understands that the approach for the player was speculative from United, with suggestions that the Old Trafford club could trigger a release clause in Godin's contract irrelevant as the player has made it clear he has no intention of leaving Atletico Madrid this summer.
The news comes just hours after manager Jose Mourinho outlined that the club would be making no additions to the squad on transfer deadline day.
We're talking Harry Maguire, Toby Alderweireld, Yerry Mina and even Kurt Zouma.
Godin is set to stay at Atletico Madrid, rebuffing Manchester United's advances in favour of remaining in La Liga.More news: Saudi air defense intercepts, destroys Houthi missile launched at Jizan
Jose Mourinho is desperate to land a central defender before the window closes on Thursday and had hoped that the 32-year-old Godin, who was named in the 2018 World Cup dream team after leading Uruguay to the quarter-finals, could be the answer to his problems.
According to reports from Sky Sports, United have made contact with Atletico Madrid for the Uruguayan worldwide.
Godin appears settled in Spain and ESPN suggest the South American is more likely to sign a new contract at the Metropolitano Stadium than to push for a late move to Old Trafford during the closing stages of the window.
"So it's time, at least for me, to stop thinking about the market because the market will be closed".More news: The Academy introduces new Oscar category and statue: Outstanding Popular Film
When asked if he would make a signing today, Mourinho added: "The information I have is no".
"So I will have to focus on the players I have".
The report claims United also offered to double Godin's wages to £8.1m-per-season after tax but unfortunately they have not been given any encouragement that a deal can be done before today's 5pm deadline.More news: Manchester United vs Leicester
- Agent of Arsenal striker Lucas Perez: West Ham a great option
- Karan Johar To Ascend ‘Throne’
- Bashar al-Assad's wife being treated for breast cancer
- Argentina Senate votes against legalizing abortion
- Thibaut Courtois deleted his farewell message to Chelsea fans within 30 minutes
- Iconic 'Brady Bunch' house purchased by HGTV
- Georgia accuses Russian Federation of military buildup as Moscow warns of 'terrible conflict'
- Official death toll still 131 in Indonesia quake
- July sees rise in annual house price growth to 3.3%
- Limited Edition PlayStation 4 Pro with Translucent Body Is Coming To Malaysia