Ruth Davidson is among the senior Consersvatives who have said Mr Johnson should apologise for his "gratuitously offensive" comments on the burka. "And some of the terms Boris used describing people's appearance obviously have offended", the prime minister said. "It is her RIGHT to choose which goes hand in hand with British values", wrote the Pakistani-Canadian star. May acknowledged that Johnson's comments had "clearly caused offence".
There was no immediate sign that Johnson planned to back down.More news: Qualcomm pushes 10nm power to Snapdragon 670
"It is ridiculous that these views are being attacked - we must not fall into the trap of shutting down the debate on hard issues", a source close to Johnson told reporters. "If we fail to speak up for liberal".
But Johnson also said the robe was oppressive, ridiculous and made women look like letter boxes and bank robbers, prompting an outcry from other politicians and British Muslim groups. "I will defend the basic principle which is the right to choose".
Johnson has been in direct communication with Bannon in recent months, according to media reports.More news: July sees rise in annual house price growth to 3.3%
Sayeeda Warsi, Johnson's colleague in the Conservative Party, and a member of the House of Lords, accused him of making "hate crime more likely" with an indefensible "dog-whistle" reference to fully veiled Muslim women.
But Johnson received support from some quarters, with Conservative MP Nadine Dorries saying he "did not go far enough".
He added: "The retrogressive Islamic clergy has succeeded in persuading ill-informed Muslims through suspect secondary sources that God wants women to cover their faces, when in reality it is a toxic patriarchy controlling women".More news: Statement from NCAA leaders on college basketball reforms
- Man City fullback Kyle Walker: The manager wants to go for everything
- James Corden reveals how Kanye West cost 'The Late Late Show' $45,000
- The Final Suspect in XXXTentacion’s Murder Has Been Arrested
- Official death toll still 131 in Indonesia quake
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds’ Devs Aim to "Fix PUBG" Over Three-Month Roadmap
- Xiaomi Mi A2 Pre-Order Sale Today via Amazon.in, Mi.com
- Hamas: we won't accept 'handouts' in place of long-term deal
- Chelsea Complete Signing of Kepa Arrizabalaga for World Record Goalkeeping Fee
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Gameplay Video Will Be Revealed Tomorrow
- American Horror Story: Apocalypse adds more series veterans