Ruth Davidson is among the senior Consersvatives who have said Mr Johnson should apologise for his "gratuitously offensive" comments on the burka. "And some of the terms Boris used describing people's appearance obviously have offended", the prime minister said. "It is her RIGHT to choose which goes hand in hand with British values", wrote the Pakistani-Canadian star. May acknowledged that Johnson's comments had "clearly caused offence".
There was no immediate sign that Johnson planned to back down.More news: PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds’ Devs Aim to "Fix PUBG" Over Three-Month Roadmap
"It is ridiculous that these views are being attacked - we must not fall into the trap of shutting down the debate on hard issues", a source close to Johnson told reporters. "If we fail to speak up for liberal".
But Johnson also said the robe was oppressive, ridiculous and made women look like letter boxes and bank robbers, prompting an outcry from other politicians and British Muslim groups. "I will defend the basic principle which is the right to choose".
Johnson has been in direct communication with Bannon in recent months, according to media reports.More news: Qualcomm pushes 10nm power to Snapdragon 670
Sayeeda Warsi, Johnson's colleague in the Conservative Party, and a member of the House of Lords, accused him of making "hate crime more likely" with an indefensible "dog-whistle" reference to fully veiled Muslim women.
But Johnson received support from some quarters, with Conservative MP Nadine Dorries saying he "did not go far enough".
He added: "The retrogressive Islamic clergy has succeeded in persuading ill-informed Muslims through suspect secondary sources that God wants women to cover their faces, when in reality it is a toxic patriarchy controlling women".More news: Chelsea Complete Signing of Kepa Arrizabalaga for World Record Goalkeeping Fee
- Gates Describes Manafort Orders While Defense Hammers 'Secret Life'
- Breast-Feeding Tips For New Moms..
- Hamas: we won't accept 'handouts' in place of long-term deal
- Chelsea set to sign Real Madrid star in exchange for Courtois
- Official death toll still 131 in Indonesia quake
- Blizzard confirms "multiple Diablo projects" in production, news by end of 2018
- Parenting in the age of Alexa and her ilk
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Gameplay Video Will Be Revealed Tomorrow
- American Horror Story: Apocalypse adds more series veterans
- India vs England: Arjun Tendulkar bowls to Virat Kohli at Lord’s