Spain's defence ministry is investigating after one of its fighter jets accidentally fired a missile over Estonia during a training mission.
The missile has a self-destruct mode, but it's not known if it was activated.
A Eurofighter Typhoon from the Spanish Air Force accidentally launched an AMRAAM air-to-air missile in a practice area in southern Estonia on Tuesday.More news: Spider-Man: Far From Home casting reveals Infinity War clues
As the Estonian Air Force continued to search for the missing weapon, the public were warned not to look for it themselves.
The accidental attack took place earlier today in the Estonian air space at 3.44pm local time (12.44pm GMT) by an Eurofighter Typhoon 2000.
Estonian Prime Minister Juri Ratas said on Facebook, "Thank God no human casualties", calling the incident "extremely regrettable".
"However, after saying this, I will add that many civilian and military organizations play their role in ensuring global air security".More news: James Anderson's golf swing goes horribly wrong
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg is ready to provide support for the investigation into the incident, the spokesperson added. All of the planes are based in Siauliai in northern Lithuania, and the jet that launched the missile was able to return to the base.
The Spanish Defense Ministry also opened an investigation.
The Spanish jet is part of NATO's Baltic air-policing mission. The Spanish Eurofighter detachment comprised of six jets.
The projectile in question is an AMRAAM-type air-to-air missile with a firing range of 100 kilometers that carries a warhead fitted with explosives of up to 10 kilograms.More news: Crude Oil Settles Higher On Supply Worries
Jets from North Atlantic Treaty Organisation countries deployed on air-policing missions have had regular encounters with Russian jets over the Baltics, though there were no reports of Russian aircraft in the area when the missile was sacked on Tuesday.
- Moment man is pulled alive from rubble in quake-hit Lombok
- Oscars Adding Popular Film Category
- Subtropical storm Debby forms in the deep Atlantic
- Snapchat lost 3 million daily users in the past three months
- NY Republican Chris Collins Arrested for Fraud
- Saudi rules out mediation in Canada row, mulls new measures
- Angelina Jolie accuses Brad Pitt of evading child support
- ‘Cowboy Ninja Viking’ Movie Stopped In Its Tracks By Universal
- Rick Gates Forced Into Admitting Extramarital Affair by Paul Manafort’s Lawyer
- Massive glowing 'rogue' planet spotted 'drifting' in space