Paul said he invited Russian lawmakers to visit the United States to help foster inter-parliamentary contacts.
Russian President Vladimir Putin proposed a series of talking points during his trip to Helsinki which included nuclear disarmament and banning the placement of weapons in space, says a memo obtained by USA politics journal Politico.
Paul, has cheered the Kentucky senator's leadership in bringing about more diplomacy between Russian Federation and the United States. "The letter emphasized the importance of further engagement in various areas including countering terrorism, enhancing legislative dialogue and resuming cultural exchanges", Paul wrote in a Twitter post.More news: Saudi rules out mediation in Canada row, mulls new measures
"What bothers me more is that I think he's a suck-up to Vladimir Putin because he has something on him", he said.
The letter comes three weeks after Trump met with Putin in Helsinki, Finland, sparking a backlash in both parties after his initial refusal to side with the USA intelligence community over Russian denials about meddling in the 2016 presidential election.More news: ‘Cowboy Ninja Viking’ Movie Stopped In Its Tracks By Universal
Paul, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, had planned this Russian Federation trip before the Trump-Putin summit in Helsinki, Finland last month, the source said. There has been no indication that a Putin-Paul meeting would occur.
Texas Republican Sen. Don Huffines, who chaired Paul's 2016 presidential campaign in Texas, was along on the trip, financed by the Cato Institute, a Washington, D.C. -based libertarian think tank. Trump sparked outrage by accepting Putin's word over that of his intelligence agencies at a Helsinki news conference.
Paul's colleagues in the Senate from both parties introduced legislation last week to impose strict new sanctions on Russian Federation.More news: Crude Oil Settles Higher On Supply Worries
- Hiroshima marks 73rd anniversary of atomic bombing - 8/6/2018 12:45:44 AM
- Rick Gates Forced Into Admitting Extramarital Affair by Paul Manafort’s Lawyer
- Boris Johnson told to apologise over 'totally out of order' burka comments
- Twitter head Jack Dorsey defends decision not to ban Alex Jones, Infowars
- James Anderson's golf swing goes horribly wrong
- Tesla’s Board Has Met Several Times to Discuss Going-Private Proposal
- Carrie Underwood confirms she’s expecting 2nd child with Mike Fisher
- College student includes massive gator in graduation photos
- Kourtney Kardashian & Younes Bendjima Split
- West Nile Found In Wyoming Mosquito Test