This could be huge for beloved blockbusters ranging from the MCU to the Wizarding World - but it also says a lot about how the Academy views popular films and their place in the industry's biggest night.
The statement added that "eligibility requirements and other key details will be forthcoming", though it's quite reasonable to expect that the award will require a minimum box office gross to ensure only truly populist movies make the cut. But first: the Academy is serious about a three-hour telecast ("We are committed to producing an entertaining show in three hours, delivering a more accessible Oscars for our viewers worldwide"), and the date of the 92nd Oscars has been moved up, from February 23, 2020 to Feb. 9 (next year's Oscars will remain on Feb 24, 2019). For comparison, last year's ceremony aired in early March and the upcoming 2019 show is set for February 24.More news: Ford reveals details of buck-a-beer plan
In an effort to keep future ceremonies to three hours, the awards will be presented live and during commercial breaks.
In a memo to members from Bailey and Academy CEO Dawn Hudson (read it in full below), the changes outlined include creating a new category, for outstanding achievement in popular film.
We have heard from many of you about improvements needed to keep the Oscars and our Academy relevant in a changing world.More news: Ruby Rose cast as lesbian Batwoman for CW
Does that mean even less Academy recognition for similar films now that they may have a separate category? Specific categories will be determined at a later date, but the winning moments will be edited and aired in a later broadcast. The Board of Governors took this charge seriously. "Every single one was either nominated or won Best Picture with the exception of 'Snow White, ' which was given an honorary Oscar".
Others blasted the academy with insults, calling the new changes "inane" and those who made them "cowards", while "Lord of the Rings" veteran Elijah Wood simply tweeted, "Best Popular Film? oof".
"We are excited about these steps, and look forward to sharing more details with you".More news: Jordan Pickford wants Europe in Silva's first Everton season
Popular film? What is this?
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9 features leaked; device to come with massive storage
- Ian Rush predicts where Liverpool FC are going to finish
- Carrie Underwood confirms she’s expecting 2nd child with Mike Fisher
- ‘Cowboy Ninja Viking’ Movie Stopped In Its Tracks By Universal
- Trump going ahead with taxes on $16B in Chinese imports
- Rick Gates Forced Into Admitting Extramarital Affair by Paul Manafort’s Lawyer
- Snapchat lost 3 million daily users in the past three months
- Massive glowing 'rogue' planet spotted 'drifting' in space
- Boris Johnson told to apologise over 'totally out of order' burka comments
- Hail at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado kills 2 animals