An updated forecast projects the center of the storm to move on a slightly more southerly course than previous tracks, and forecasters say the center of Hector is expected to pass roughly 165 miles south of Hawaii Island on Wednesday.
Hurricane Hector is tracking for a close call with Hawaii's Big Island, parts of which are still coping with destruction from the ongoing eruption of the Kilauea volcano.
Hurricane Hector picked up strength as it entered the Central Pacific Basin, according to forecasters.More news: Los Cabos Open final: Fognini upsets Del Potro
Hector was about 1,130 miles (1,820 km) east-southeast of South Point Hawaii and traveling west at 14 mph (22 km/h), with maximum sustained winds of 140 mph (220 km/h), it said. It was projected to gradually weaken while still remaining a hurricane over the next several days. It's not known yet if the island will be impacted.
Forecasters with the National Weather Service say "Hector will cross into the local region from Tuesday night into Thursday, though it remains too early to determine precise impacts on island weather at this time".
State officials urged residents to take precaution and prepare for the storm.More news: Once-eased USA economic sanctions against Iran back in effect
"Hector is our first hurricane this year". "Hector could also track farther north near Hawaii if its forward speed slows down". "We want to remind the public we are in the middle of the hurricane season and we urge people to take the weekend to prepare their homes and families for impacts that could be felt statewide", Tom Travis, the state's administrator of emergency management, said in a statement.
The current Kilauea lava flow from one of about two dozen volcanic fissures that opened in the ground has been going on for 93 days, making the longest non-stop eruption on record from Kilauea's lower East Rift zone.More news: 'Gilligan's Island Crew': 7 puppies rescued from uninhabited Canadian island
- SpaceX's brand new, recyclable Falcon 9 rocket launches again
- Jose Mourinho needs to 'work out' issues with Ed Woodward - Peter Kenyon
- Huge Sead Kolasinac blow, Aaron Ramsey update
- Florida school shooting suspect shouted 'kill me' hours after taken into custody
- US sports mogul makes offer to buy Arsenal
- MoviePass Limiting Subscribers To 3 Movies Per Month
- Sakkari into Silicon Valley tennis final
- Real Madrid target Juventus star as a replacement for Modric
- Transfer: Vidal sends message to Bayern Munich after joining Barcelona
- Malaysia: Indonesia returns yacht at centre of graft probe