Since we only have one, Earth Overshoot Day raises awareness of our consumption level.
Earth Overshoot Day was created by the Global Footprint Network (GFN), an independent think tank that provides research as well as insights into natural resource consumption and tools for making informed, sustainable decisions. The Global Footprint Network started measuring the use of world resources this way in the 1970s.More news: Home, auto loans to cost more, banks hike rates before RBI
This week, August 1, 2018 is a sobering date for human beings.
But while the trend is slowing, they also note that 207 environmental activists were murdered in 2017, "the worst year on record".
To demonstrate how this can be done and to promote new approaches to sustainable business thinking, the company has partnered with Global Footprint Network, the worldwide research organization that is changing how the world manages its natural resources and responds to climate change. This equates to using up 1.7 earths.
Back in 1987 it was on December 19, but it's moved up substantially over time.More news: Leaked document shows Google's plans for its censored search engine in China
Halve the carbon component of the EF, such as reducing meat consumption. Cape Town in South Africa is only a year away from running out of water, and many cities in India have already reached that state. GFN said it takes 14 times more land to produce a ton of beef than a ton of grain, while pork production requires 1.9 times more.
GFN said if every other family in the world had one child fewer, EOD will move back 30 days by 2050.
The planet has also absorbed as much carbon emissions as a result of human activity as it can for the year. However, it noted that China, with the largest total EF, decreased 0.3 percent from 2013 to 2014.
Megan Leslie, president and CEO of World Wildlife Fund Canada, is available for comment on Earth Overshoot Day and consequences for wildlife in Canada.More news: Bank of England raises interest rates to 0.75%
- LG V35 ThinQ Signature Edition Revealed In Korea at a Massive Cost
- Pope Francis accepts resignation of Cardinal Theodore McCarrick over sex abuse allegations
- Palace holds 'crisis meeting' over Meghan's 'out of control' father
- Florida GOP governor candidate, 'Pitbull Trump Defender,' releases campaign video
- Opening new school 'one of the greatest moments' for LeBron
- EA adds new membership tier to Origin
- White House needs to increase tariffs on Chinese goods: Wilbur Ross
- United Kingdom auto production hit by Brexit woes
- Durex recall two types of condoms over fears that they may 'burst'
- Digne criticised for 'I never walk alone' tattoo