Scientists say there are three types of lunar eclipses: total, partial and penumbral. A period of complete eclipse, known as "totality", will last from 3:30 p.m.to 5:13 p.m. ET. This is when the moon is completely inside the Earth's shadow and is the most spectacular part of the lunar eclipse.
Dr Jacob said: "Anyone on that night-side of the Earth would be able to see the moon go into the eclipse". For example, when the moon is shrouded by the shadow of the Earth, it is plunged into total darkness and the surface temperature drops dramatically.More news: Fire evacuations around Chelan Hills lifted
"The moon usually turns a deep, dark red because it is illuminated by light that has passed through the Earth's atmosphere and has been bent back towards the moon by refraction", the British Royal Observatory explained.
It will reach peak eclipse at 9:22 (BST), however, the total eclipse will last for a total of 1 hour 43 minutes.
Some Britons had better luck however, with the Grenadier Guards stationed in Iraq posting images showing troops gazing at a red-sheened moon hanging in a clear sky.
The blood moon was visible from Europe, Russia, Africa, the Middle East, and much of Asia and Australia though clouds blocked out the moon in some places. These latter events, which occur when the moon passes into Earth's shadow, are safe to view directly with the naked eye, telescopes or binoculars. The atmosphere filters out most of the sun's blue light, so the moon looks red. - AP The moon turns red during a total lunar eclipse, as seen from Dresden, Germany.More news: Disney's Acquisition of Fox Approved by Shareholders
The full moon is seen during a "blood moon" eclipse over the temple of Apollo in Corinth, on July 27, 2018. Earlier this year, the world got a glimpse of a total lunar eclipse on January 31.
Rio de Janeiro's spectators cheered when the blood moon emerged from the fog.
#08:50 PM: How Lunar Eclipse 2018 affects your stars: In a special show 'Sabse Bada Chandra Grahan' by News Nation, watch how Lunar Eclipse 2018 will bring changes in your life. "Bloody" referred to the moon during the Eclipse.More news: Google wants to stop phishing attacks with its new hardware security key
- Upcoming budget-friendly iPhone may have thinner bezel than iPhone X
- Aubameyang's a friend, not a foe - Lacazette
- Demare wins stage, Thomas keeps lead
- Fortnite season 5, week 3 challenges and how to complete them
- Iberia Parish says West Nile Virus detected in local mosquito population
- Giuliani details new revelations about Michael Cohen's tapes
- EA’s New game Subscription Service Origin Access Premier goes live next week
- Battlefield V’s Grand Operations won’t be available at launch
- How to see Mars as it's visible alongside 'eerie' blood moon eclipse
- Saudi Arabia halts oil exports via Red Sea after Yemeni retaliatory attacks