28 July 2018 seen from different locations.
At the same time, Mars is travelling closer to Earth than it has done since 2003, so some observers may see what looks like an orange-red star - and is in fact the red planet.
Incredibly, the Moon was entirely in Earth's shadow (totality), turning it a dark blood red, for a full 1 hour and 43 minutes. The Full Eclipse began at 3.30am where the shadow of the sun started to change the colour of the moon red and was visible to the naked eye.More news: Tough task ahead for homegrown golfers at RBC Canadian Open
The eclipse will not be visible from North America or most of the Pacific. - AFP A man looks through a telescope at a "blood moon" eclipse in Oloika town in Magadi, Kenya.
Dr Andrew Jacob, curator at Sydney Observatory, described the blood moon eclipse as "very nice", especially since an eclipse earlier in the year had been clouded out.
"There is no reason to believe that blood moons foretell doom", said Massey.
After weeks of uninterrupted sunshine and cloudless skies, thunderstorms swept across swathes of the United Kingdom on Friday, veiling what was said to be the longest celestial event in the 21st century.More news: Zimbabwe’s Upcoming Elections Are A Political Charade: Former US Envoys
Earlier, on Friday night, about 200 people from the ASV gathered at Braeside Park and watched Mars through 20 telescopes as it sat close to the moon. Basically, this particular blood moon is not the one for you if you're an American who will be in America on Friday. "For those alive today, it's a unique event", said Sven Melchert, head of a local society of astronomy enthusiasts in Heppenheim, western Germany, cited by the DPA news agency.
Our constant companion will also be at the farthest point on its orbit from Earth, making its movement across the sky slower from our perspective, thus spending longer in the dark.
"If that were true, we'd be in big trouble given the gravitational pulls on Earth, Mars, and our moon!" the NASA website states.
The next lunar eclipse of such a length is due in 2123.More news: Ahed Tamimi, Palestinian protest icon, released from Israeli prison
Viewers received an extra treat, with Mars competing for attention, sparkling brightly.
- Jewish papers combine to attack "stain and shame of anti-Semitism" in Labour
- ITV hails Love Island 'phenomenon' as revenues climb 8pc
- Indonesia hit by magnitude 6.4 quake in Lombok
- Mahrez welcomes competition at Manchester City
- LeBron James says he regrets naming his son after him
- Maharashtra bus accident: CM Devendra Fadnavis, Rahul Gandhi condole deaths
- At least two dead in New Orleans mass shooting
- Japan's oldest woman dies aged 117
- Cambodia Elections: Crackdown leaves garment industry in danger
- Twitter says it doesn't 'shadow ban' after Trump tweet